Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro add-on... Incentive?

glennburnard
Grafter

Plusnet Pro add-on... Incentive?

Hi there,
Just joined Plusnet from horrendous Virgin Media (which drove me up the wall with their unreliable service in Birmingham). I got the Plusnet Broadband unlimited product, which is to be activated after tomorrow. I am an avid gamer and the games I play seem to be there on the list of games on Titanium channel. I had a look at the Pro add-on and really when you compare it to the unlimited package it doesn't seem to be adding much, only VPN and external FTP (neither of which I use).
Does that mean that I would see no benefit if I was to purchase the add-on? Furthermore,is there any way of prioritising streaming to Titanium, as we do tons of that.
Thanks in advance and I look forward to your feedback.
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Plusnet Pro add-on... Incentive?

Hi glennburnard,
First of all, welcome to the Forums!
With the Pro Add on you will see either Titanium or Gold traffic . In all honesty, I think you would be best off giving it a couple of weeks to see how your connection works for you. If you feel that you require the Pro Add on, you can always add it on at any time via the Member Centre Smiley
Edit: Correction
glennburnard
Grafter

Hi Chris,
Wow you are quick, customer service at it's best. Thanks
You see when I went on the FAQ it does not state on the table tat all traffic would be on titanium with the pro-add on. Is that a mistake?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

You shouldn't need it.  You actually want your streaming in gold so that your games in titanium have priority. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I do apologise, I made an initial mistake. With the Pro Add on you will see the following:
Browsing & Email - Gold
VoIP - Titanium
Gaming - Titanium
Streaming - Gold
VPN - Titanium
Plusnet FTP - Gold
External FTP - Titanium
Download sites - Gold
Download servers - Gold
Peer to peer/Usenet - Gold
Other - Titanium
If you'd like further information on how we manage our broadband traffic, you can view this here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
You might find that how the traffic is prioritised already that it suits your needs. You mentioned that you're an avid gamer, this type of traffic is prioritised under Titanium Traffic anyway Smiley
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: glennburnard
I had a look at the Pro add-on and really when you compare it to the unlimited package it doesn't seem to be adding much, only VPN and external FTP (neither of which I use).

I think you have been reading something out of date somewhere.  Possibly a cached page? All Pro does now is change the prioritisation, in two places. Importantly, one is within your own connection, as has been sort of mentioned. You possibly want that. See this blog.
Another thing you may not have picked up on is that Pro can be added and removed on a monthly basis. It is nothing to do with the 12-month contract/minimum term you have signed up for.
Best to do without and see how things are for a couple of months.