cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro Addon

michellereid
Grafter

Plusnet Pro Addon

Hi, Next Thursday we get our Plus net connection upgraded to Fibre and we'll also be getting the PRO ADD ON.... How long does it take to have the add on activated, would it be wise to do it now so it's ready for next week or is it activated straight away.
Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet Pro Addon

You can't add it until the fibre is activated.
It then happens immediately
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That answer may or may not be correct.
It depends on what account you are currently on. If you are on either Plusnet Value or Extra you can add the Pro add-on immediately and it will take immediate effect. If you are not on one of those two products you will have to wait until after you've completed the switch to Value Fibre or Extra Fibre.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StuartUK35
Grafter

use fibre for a short while before they add the Pro...
and then compare...
for example:
we run average 35mb down with 1.69mb up on fibre, we pay for the Pro addon, but:
ITV player through the PS3 - jerky
Iplayer through PS3 - buffers occasionly (eastenders)
Playing L4D2 with a mate who lives 18 miles away from me, and is on cable (10mb), average ping time = 104  (hard to say whose end causes the lag)
Playing COD MW2 in the evening = lagged to f**k Sad  , unsure as to whether its the crap network engine connecting me to players on the moon, or just a poor connection for me ?
Dont really use it much for anything else, but i wanted the PRO so my gaming and TV playback would be smooth, oh well...
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The Pro add-on shouldn't make a difference to streaming as unless the traffic management fails to recognise the stream it should be at a high priority without the add-on.
Gaming: The Pro add-on will only be effective if the game is not in the list in this post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,444.0.html
Are you connecting to the router wired or wireless? If wireless have you confirmed that streaming is jerky when using a wired connection?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
StuartUK35
Grafter

My understanding was the 'PRO Addon' was to make you get what you pay for ?  Angry
IE: Pay £16.49 for a Fibre line which is killed off to a 2mb or less line and then pay £5 extra (PRO) to make it work like a Fibre line (3/4 of your line speed, say 20 to 27mb).  Thats how the product was sold to me anyway  Crazy
I'll be comparing the PRO option in a couple of months (on and off), so think the OP should at least try without, be interesting on what she/he reports back....
As for me, i use the netgear router, and desktop and PS3 are wired.  Even if the wireless connected at B, 11mb, it would stream over 800kb a sec, so issue would always be the ISP.
Way i see it, if i suck a bottle of pepsi through a straw, its gonna come out a lot slower doing it that way, with stops inbetween gulps/more sucking power  :P.  Thats how most ISPs work, restricted!  Cheesy
Dont get me wrong, i aint complaining, i made the choice for this Smiley
Op, let us know how you get on worth seeing how the Pro suits you....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: StuartUK35
My understanding was the 'PRO Addon' was to make you get what you pay for ?  Angry
IE: Pay £16.49 for a Fibre line which is killed off to a 2mb or less line and then pay £5 extra (PRO) to make it work like a Fibre line (3/4 of your line speed, say 20 to 27mb).  Thats how the product was sold to me anyway  Crazy

The Pro add-on does two things. First it ensures that the 'ToS marking' (read: priority) of all of your traffic is in the 'Gold' traffic queue or higher. We very rarely drop any packets from these traffic queues, so you pretty much get what your line is capable of latency-wise. Secondly, it removes all of the rate limits associated with the base-line products. That's what's responsible for the download speeds published on this page.
Is your PS3 on a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, then that's the first thing I'd look at ruling out.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

StuartUK35
Grafter

My PS3 is wired (cat6), so is my gaming desktop (cat6).
Been reading through several posts on here over the past 2 hours, from others who use PN for gaming, pay the extra £5 to find it either serves no purpose or makes matters worse!
I'll waste my time later by using Wireshark to see what comes of the UDP's hitting my machine......
Its ironic how a while ago, i had o2 legacy = no issues with anything, ever! just straight forward broadband, just 4.5mb of real internet access.
moved house, joined PN on Fibre, have PRO addon,  it now takes 105 seconds minimum after COD MW2 (PC) has loaded to find others (just says finding servers')
When i throw a grenade or Flashbang in Counterstrike (source), it doesn't throw, it jerks through the air Sad
The iplayer/itv player on the PS3 is a joke
I live and learn hey! (got 17 months to learn mind!) Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well that rules the wi-fi out then (although there's certainly no harm in swapping out the cabling if you have spares).
Been reading through several posts on here over the past 2 hours, from others who use PN for gaming, pay the extra £5 to find it either serves no purpose or makes matters worse!

I'd be interested to read through those posts if you can link to them? I have checked your traffic management profile on the traffic management switches themselves and it is perfectly fine. The only thing I can think of that would cause a drop in performance is if other applications/people are using your connection quite heavily whilst you're trying to game/watch iPlayer etc. Without Pro, lesser priority traffic is knocked down the pecking order so that the more important stuff takes precedent. With Pro though, everything's getting a slice of the pie so it will all be fighting for bandwidth. A good example of this would be if you or somebody else on the network had a torrent client or something like that running in the background. Without Pro, this probably wouldn't affect your gaming/streaming too significantly. With Pro though, it almost certainly would!
I'll waste my time later by using Wireshark to see what comes of the UDP's hitting my machine......

You're not going to find anything with a ToS marking below 'Gold', I'm confident of that. As mentioned, I've checked the traffic management switches themselves and it all checks out.
moved house, joined PN on Fibre, have PRO addon,  it now takes 105 seconds minimum after COD MW2 (PC) has loaded to find others (just says finding servers')
When i throw a grenade or Flashbang in Counterstrike (source), it doesn't throw, it jerks through the air Sad
The iplayer/itv player on the PS3 is a joke

Then something is definitely amiss because I don't have any of the problems you're reporting on my Fibre connection and that's *without* Pro Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

michellereid
Grafter

I'll spend a few days without the addon just to see how things look.
But looking at the broadband download speed chart, the only time I can take advantage of my upcoming 38MB connection is between 1am - 7am. At those times I'm tucked up in bed.
7am - 6pm I'm at work... So the time I'm at home and able to use the connection I'm left with these:
Streaming - 5Mb/sec
Download Servers - 2Mb/sec
Download Sites - 512kb/sec dropping to 256kb/sec for a few hours.
You Tube - 5Mb/sec
Gaming 2Mb/sec
So If I want to download anything via the Mac App Store or iTunes (which are classed as download servers I'll only get 2Mb/sec.
Thinking about it i'll have to purchase the Pro Addon because otherwise theres no point in paying extra for fibre optic broadband if I'm only going to get the speeds quoted above. If I didn't I wouldn't notice any difference to that of my 5Mb connection at the moment.
StuartUK35
Grafter

I do my P2P downloads after midnight, laptop autoturns off at 7:30am....
Last night, was finding most ports blocked, but then when found a port i could use, speeds were equal to that of a 7mb pipe.....  This was around 1:20am
Between 10pm to midnight, i'm playing Left 4 Dead 2 on my PC online.... Now unless i am the only person in the UK to have this game, only people i could connect with were those in Libya, Nigeria, France, basically, anyone outside the UK ????? pings 110 +
So my Fibre PRO is working great..
I was also switching between my usual COD MW2 on the PC, as above, high pings, real laggy connections with whoever i am conecting with (routed outside the UK, but not sure if game or ISP is to fault)
At 6pm and 7:25pm, i did that BT speedtest, got 17mb and iprofile was -17365.
Bizarre given that the BT guy showed me the txt on his phone when was setup last week saying my line will actually do 40mb and 2mb up without issues (txt from BT to engineer handset) as am very close to the box.
So......
I pay for Fibre (average 34mb), and i pay for PRO to give me the Fibre (as opposed to paying for Fibre and capped to 2mb like ADSL... not DSL Max, or DSL2+, just ADSL) which at the mo seems hit and miss.... still, gotta allow the 10 days before i complain! Smiley Smiley Smiley  Grin
I guess maybe the 'PRO' is really similar to that of a Meaty Tesco sarnie over a Meat Tesco sarnie...  IE:  The meaty sarnie is exactly the same as the meat one, but the filling is pushed to the front of the sarnie to make it appear your getting somthing extra!  Cheesy Grin
**to note, i'm not looking for a response, just venting***  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Like I've mentioned Stuart, there's almost certainly a problem elsewhere that is nothing to do with the Pro add-on whatsoever. One thing I've noticed is that your connection doesn't exactly seem to be the most stable:
Session Started	Session Ended	Session Duration
01:27 21/Sep/2011 N/A One Day, 8:9:13 (on going)
22:24 20/Sep/2011 01:27 21/Sep/2011   3:3:1
14:08 18/Sep/2011 22:24 20/Sep/2011 2 Days, 8:15:47
10:23 17/Sep/2011 14:08 18/Sep/2011 One Day, 3:44:18
10:23 17/Sep/2011 10:23 17/Sep/2011   0:0:11
09:47 17/Sep/2011 10:23 17/Sep/2011   0:35:54
09:05 17/Sep/2011 09:47 17/Sep/2011   0:41:37
09:04 17/Sep/2011 09:05 17/Sep/2011   0:0:24
03:34 16/Sep/2011 09:04 17/Sep/2011 One Day, 5:30:29
01:26 16/Sep/2011 03:33 16/Sep/2011   2:7:2
23:00 15/Sep/2011 01:26 16/Sep/2011   2:26:7
17:25 15/Sep/2011 23:00 15/Sep/2011   5:34:27
17:22 15/Sep/2011 17:25 15/Sep/2011   0:2:46
14:23 15/Sep/2011 17:22 15/Sep/2011   2:58:45
14:19 15/Sep/2011 14:23 15/Sep/2011   0:3:59
13:24 15/Sep/2011 14:19 15/Sep/2011   0:54:46

Don't suppose you know why your line would have disconnected at the above times? I'm also assuming you're still operated with a wired set-up? Whilst wireless can perform at satisfactory speeds, a poor/disrupted connection can play havoc with your latency/performance.
At the time of writing almost 80% of your usage is Peer-2-Peer however I've checked and I can see that it's all at the times you state. I'm a little miffed by your claim that ports were outright blocked!? Our server-side firewall is off so I'm really struggling to see how this can be the case!?
You are still using the kit we provided you with aren't you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

StuartUK35
Grafter

Ports were blocked on that 1 instance only (hence i said just venting)....... keep in mind i didnt stay up all night testing each port, for 20 mins i tried different ports to listen on, each port blocked, rebooted router, still blocked
As of 2pm today, i will have had a live signal reaching my house for 1 week...  I'll post my findings and issues after (will be tomorrow in terms of posts)..
Indeed my P2P activity is in the hours of peoples bedtime.  Also seems to max out at 1650kb (1.6mb), as opposed to the estimated 3.6mb throughput on a 'line speed'.
My idea of the PRO add-on, was to make my 33mb value 2mb Fibre run close to 33mb as opposed to the 2mb in the hours i need it (6pm to midnight).
However, my snapshots of that BT speedtest show otherwise (although i dont fully rely on that tool anyway Smiley  ) , and the constant laggy poor gaming playing games which work on client/server and meshed topologies shows too......(and the disconnects, most infuriating!!)
BT speedtests in 'PRO' hours show a rate like 1.7mb (or 17mb if i did a speedtest.net).
Do note though, my PRO add-on was added when it went live on the 15th Sep, and for 2 days it all seemed super bling! Smiley  Cool
I've increased to the Extra package already, and my plan is to cancel the PRO so i can compare the difference.
Regardless of speed as such, when it comes to paying for somthing, i want it, regardless of whether i use it Smiley
As to Drop-outs, the Openreach Modem hasn't been turned off since day one..  My lease for my IP seems to change quite a lot i noticed.... I am using the Netgear router supplied, and do have a vigor 2820 spare if need be (i use that same router for my plusnet business BB account).
I will state though, the home phone in the past 2 days has gone a bit mental.  Got echo and sounds mega loud!!  However, the quiet line test comes up, well, quiet! grrrrrrrrr! I have my line supplier onto the case....  Cables going to the house = approx 8 years old, as its a new build kinda...)
michellereid
Grafter

I've got my fibre connection all set up now. A young female engineer rang me 30 minutes before she got here. Installed the new faceplate and modem, disappeared down the street to the cabinet for 20 minutes and it was all up and running.
Laptop in the bedroom connected via network cable I get between 34-38MB download and 1.5MB upload and wireless in the living between 22-25MB download and 1.5 upload.
She took no longer then 45 minutes... quite impressed. 
barneystuta

Just added this add-on myself. Is it instant? Or do I need to restart my router?
Thanks.