cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro Addon lower Throughput

iruhaku
Dabbler

Plusnet Pro Addon lower Throughput

Hi, I just recently upgraded to the pro add on about 12 hours or so I was getting 15+mb (15-15.5 using speedtest.net, TBB and bt speed tester) since I upgraded its been 14mb always 14mb. (wired) seems to be a case of slightly better ping (1-2 ms on my game which isn't on the list) or getting 1.5mb extra. I thought it wouldn't effect throughput and it may actually increase it in some circumstances but this has not been the case. I don't understand how this could change it as i thought it was just prioritisation (less dropped packets due to congestion etc).
Line stats as follows
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:28:44
7 - Data rate: 1279/17923
8 - Maximum data rate: 1288/18132
9 - Noise margin: 6.0/3.3
10 - Line attenuation: 16.4/29.0
12 - Data sent/received: 4.7M/81.7M
BTW
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 14.04 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed : 1.09 Mbps
Current
Previous
TBB
Current
Previous
Rather disappointed at the moment considering its £5 a month extra for less speed and almost negligible improved ping.
I tried the further diagnostics on btw but i get this message "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
I see no other reason for the speed decrease as my sync rate is marginally higher than it was ( i reset it today to see if it would improve speed) previous sync was slightly lower (negligible) 3 days sync and beofre that it was the same at 6 days sync.
Really confused and any help would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
iruhaku
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Pro Addon lower Throughput

So I've done more tests by removing pro then re adding it and it has to be the pro add on
pro just removed
BTW
1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 14.89 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
speed test.net

Pro Added
speed test
BTW 1. Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 14.05 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Why is the pro apparently being artificially capped at 14mb for me? Kind of makes this "addon" totally pointless and a waste of £5
more confused than ever
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are on an Unlimited package the Pro add-on on makes a difference when you are using the full capacity of the line and then it alters the relative priorities; it is therefore pretty pointless for most people and why Plusnet haven't removed it as an option for people on Unlimited accounts none of us can understand.
Be careful enabling/disabling - you may be charged multiple times! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
iruhaku
Dabbler

So they're effectively selling a service that does nothing but slow down your connection? that baffles me to no end
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: iruhaku
that baffles me to no end

Join the club!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)