Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Broadband: Falling behind competitors

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Plusnet Broadband: Falling behind competitors

Quote from: Un
It would be nice if you could bump up the fibre allowance a bit - say to 150GB.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

A bit more usage is always wanted Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
centralsimon
Grafter

My mobile phone contract gives me minutes that I never use up and unlimited texts and data which I never consume to a massive amount. BUT I feel safe knowing that my bases are covered.
The current 120Gb limit on Fibre products for an individual is more than enough, but divide that amongst a busy family of 3 users and you now are only looking at a 40Gb cap which is insufficient for modern usage.
I look at PN parent and see for an extra £5 I could get "unlimited" usage and free wifi minutes. It's a no brainer to jump ship, although I don't need/ use the "unlimited" usage but again it feels safe.
If PN genuinely respond to their customers, they really should offer an "unlimited" package to rival the market - or double the current caps.
However I feel that PN are not positioning themselves into that market and will be happy to pick up the low user market and rely on churn rate to keep their market share.
Personally I'm leaving PN when my contract expires - as the extra £5 charge really is a no-brainer for the same product.

Chris
Legend

Personally I'm leaving PN when my contract expires - as the extra £5 charge really is a no-brainer for the same product.

It'd be a shame to see you leave. I'm not sure when your contract is up, but you never know, we may have some new products out by then.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BRABUS
Grafter

Do you know something or are you teasing us for sport because it is quiet in the office tonight LOL
Chris
Legend

I'm not in the office! As I said, I'm not sure when his contract is up therefore there isn't anything to read into what I've said.
BRABUS
Grafter

I am only playing with you Chris.  Just thought this thread needs lightening a bit as the same points are said over and over again..

The way I see it, if what plus net offered didn't meet my needs then I would leave.  I did that a few years ago because of a carrot dangled by Sky.  It wasn't a carrot afterall, it was poison so I came back to Plus Net.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought the Fibre contract was 18 months, so maybe that's getting a bit optimistic Grin
Sorry, I'll stop there.
Well, no Fibre for me until December, so maybe you'll have something competitive by then.
mattfrog

My 12 months is up in October and it pains me to say that barring any new products with significantly more than 120gb allowance being introduced, I will have to leave.
I'm a heavy user - all TV, radio, film, music, video chats etc. go through my net connection. I'm a designer with big files. I trade the markets and have bloomberg etc. running all the time.
And the connection itself is great, never had such low latency, it is just a real drag that as my main source of entertainment I am constantly constricting myself to not use it how much I'd like to. I've often stayed up until midnight just to iPlayer something.
OK, I'm a fringe case (and nut case some may say  Crazy ) - so I understand, it's as simple as plusnet not being the right product for me personally. Not PN's fault.
It's just a damn shame when everything, seriously everything, else about PN is brilliant  Cry
Edit: I would also like to upgrade to fibre, but having such a fast and wide pipe and only getting a paltry 120gb would be beyond teasing!  Cheesy
x47c
Grafter

To honest if your are running those sorts of things (financial trading desk) I'm amazed that you have gone with Plusnet.
You should be looking at professional/business/commercial offerings from BT.
Multiple paths in the event of failure, guarantees of repair times, etc.........
You won't like the price of course but PN is a supplier of predominately domestic broadband probably at the lower cost end of the market.
mattfrog

I'm not a big trader, nothing rapid and up-to-the-minute dependent, anyway Wink Having said that, I have been with BT Business, and I can safely say they will not be getting another penny from me again (directly, anywhoo!).
Fully accepting of the fact that plusnet is not my solution, I'm just disappointed that is the case  Embarrassed
jim:quote
GJenkins
Grafter

Fibre customers already have the option of a 120GB product which takes the additional cost of providing Fibre into account.

Which option is this? At the moment I'm not sure I want to pay more as my speed is still dropping rather than raising, im just over 12mb whereas before xmas I was synching at 20mb - openreach say theres not a fault just poor line quality
I think the cost should be relative to the actual speed you recieve
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: GJenkins
I think the cost should be relative to the actual speed you recieve

I can understand this argument but, unfortunately, the cost of providing broadband is often higher, not lower, for low speed customers (longer lines, small rural exchanges, more support calls....)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
csogilvie
Grafter

Since last week, there is a Fibre product available with 250GB of usage and 80/20 speeds - https://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/packages/extra-broadband-calls/
GJenkins
Grafter

I don't think the extra cost is justified for me, since I only get around 1/8th of the speed. If they came and sorted out the 'poor quality line' then I would jump at the chance. I have no idea how openreach can get away with not replacing lines, if they sent out poor quality modems they would soon get replaced.. oh wait...
I agree its more technical and 'not as simple' but this is a company who solely exists to lay lines and get everyone connected, they are meant to be experts.