cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet upgrade to ADSL2+ - Router question

Wheel_nut
Grafter

PlusNet upgrade to ADSL2+ - Router question

One of my referral accounts is being upgraded to ADSL2+ at the end of November.He is currently using a Speedtouch 585V6 - Note Version 6.
Will this need upgraded Firmware installed prior to the upgrade? Current Level is 6.2.t.2
Would it be better to simply get a current PlusNet £4-99 Job?
What is the currently suppied Router?
R
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: PlusNet upgrade to ADSL2+ - Router question

my recently supplied £4.99 job  (£40 if you leave within a year)

System Information
This page summarizes important information on your Thomson Gateway. You may need this information when you contact your helpdesk.

Product Name: TG585 v7
Serial Number: #########
Software Release: 8.2.6.5
Software Variant: IU
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.0
Product Code: 36588280
Board Name: CANT-P
Wheel_nut
Grafter

.... But does he have to upgrade or replace his 585V6 Router?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

According to broadband buyer even though it's discontinued it should be fine with ADSL2+. Might be worth having a look for an up to date firmware though, if it's not been kept up to date.
Hope that helps,
Wheel_nut
Grafter

The account was upgraded to 992.5 on 16 November.
Am I correct in assuming that this is FTTC? The Sync Speed was 20,000 when I last looked.
Despite the high Sync Speed, Browsing is now much slower than before and in searching this forum, I see that PlusNet are running FTTC Trials which require a specially modified 585V7 Router.
So, my question is .... Does he need a new Router?
Merlin
Grafter

ADSL 2+ can (in theory) give you up to 20mbs but you would have to be close to the exchange to achieve that ie short line length.  I have a Speedtouch 585V6 which works fine on ADSL 2+
Regarding FTTC your friend would not be on that unless his exchange & cabinet are enabled and he had applied to be on the PN trial.  You can check if the exchange & cabinet are FTTC enabled via this link
http://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Che...
Merlin
Grafter

i should have added that for FTTC you need a cable router not an ADSL router.  It is not possible to 'modify' it.
As far as I am aware there is not a cable version of the 585 but I could be wrong on that.