cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet supplied Thomson ST585 v7 PROBLEMS

uk100nx

PlusNet supplied Thomson ST585 v7 PROBLEMS

Hello
I work in IT support and have been a member of PlusNet at home since July 2002 and have been recommending PlusNet since June 2006 (with my company performing all of these installations ourselves). We have installed a number of PlusNet supplied modems and other manufacturers (mainly Netgear).
On Friday I had an install with a PlusNet supplied Thomson ST585 v7 but couldn't connect either my Windows 7 laptop or the customer's Windows 7 laptop on wirelessly, although all lights on the router lit correctly. The internet did work by ethernet cable initially, but then stopped working, although all the lights were lit correctly.
I performed a hardware reset on the router but the issue was not resolved. After an hour spent attempting to connect I phoned PlusNet support who, after I explained the issues, swapped the modem out with no questions and without running through any troubleshooting steps.
I should also point out that at least four times during my hour on site the modem restarted itself (just like if you pulled the power lead out the back and reinserted it).
I had another install today with exactly the same issues, although the modem has appeared to stabilise (after 45 minutes) and I was then able to connect the customer's machine by ethernet and my Windows 7 laptop connected by wireless.
Sorry for the long post, but does anyone know if there is an issue with a batch of these or if there's a firmware problem or something?
Thanks, Chris.
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PlusNet supplied Thomson ST585 v7 PROBLEMS

Hi there,
There is an issue at the moment with Windows 7 and WPA security - if you use WEP then it'll work fine. I'm fairly sure there's a firmware update but don't have the link as yet, as soon as I do I'll post back.
Sorry about that, and hope this helps,
mal0z
Grafter

I got a new laptop with Win7 two weeks ago, and still using the 585v7, and had no issues with wifi security using wpa2. ( except I couldn't find the passwords - so several failed log ins, but that's totally my fault !.
so will interested to see more on this, and willing to help with any tests.
Malcolm
uk100nx

Well, strangely enough, on the first job, neither Windows 7 laptop would connect wirelessly during the hour I was there, but on the second job, my Windows 7 laptop wouldn't connect wirelessly at first, but then after about half an hour it then decided it could connect by WPA/WPA2 (the default PlusNet configuration).
If there is an updated firmware file somewhere to correct these intermittent problems that would be great.
Thanks, Chris.
uk100nx

Well, I've contacted PlusNet by the Ask A Question thingy in the member centre and the firmware update for the Thomson ST585 v7 is here -
http://community.plus.net/library/uncategorized/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-...
Haven't had a chance to try it yet (the download speed is incredibly slow for me..............)
Thanks, Chris.
paxy
Grafter

You are not alone...
I have had the same problems connecting windows 7 laptop to a Thompson (subject of another thread).
I had no problems connecting the same laptop to my old USR router...
uk100nx

Hi
I've had no problems with connecting Windows 7 machines onto the Netgear routers we prefer to supply, just these Thomsons over the last week have been a real nightmare!
I haven't had a chance to load the new firmware onto a router to test that it is the firmware that's the issue, but I'll report back when I do and let you know.
Thanks, Chris.
ScottMcDonald

Recently updated the firmware to branded (PlusNet) version 8.2.6.5 and now everything works well with Windows 7.
BRABUS
Grafter

Hi Matt I hate to do this to you but your statement that Windows 7 machines will be fine using WEP is wrong.
I have just had to help some friends (in their late 70's) register a ticket as their Windows 7 machine will no longer connect using wireless.  It doesn't even work with WEP or with no security.  I ave had the same issue myself with 2 of your routers.  In the end I gave up and dug out an old BT Homehub that has never missed a beat.  If I had a spare one I would give it to my friends as your routers in my opinion are seriously flawed Sad

Ticket ID: 33231005
orrery
Grafter

I'm now spending more time working from home and I've noticed that my TG585 (data below) now re-boots fairly frequently, presumably with the increased activity (2 or 3 time per day, and no Windows 7 involved).  I have seen this intermittently before and recall searching the net to find that this seems to be a known issue and there being talk of 'new firmware' to resolve it.
Product Name: TG585 v7
Serial Number: CP0838SFV44
Software Release: 7.4.4.7
Is there a fix and can anyone point me to a link for 'new firmware'?
TIA
regards, Ian
ScottMcDonald

gyre
Grafter

I've found that the 585v7 plusnet branded is incredibly flaky.  It will warm boot when doing the simplest tasks, like adding a static IP address to the dhcp server.
Switching off wireless seemed to help a bit.
Switching off upnp seemed to help a bit more.
Keeping it really cool by storing upside appeared to help too.
I have 2 of these routers and they are very similar.
I have switched to a netgear DG834Gv4 and it is rock solid so far.
-- gyre --