FIXED
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

I'm not taking any credit for this - it was this post

@ejs wrote:

@flinflon wrote:

My router is an old NetGear N150 wireless adsl2+ modem router (DGN1000-100UKS)

Or since it's not a Plusnet issued device, it could merely be configured with some sort of idle timeout for the PPP connection, so that it disconnects the PPP connection if no data has been sent over it for a certain time.

that stirred a memory from many years ago that there was a timeout by default on some Netgear routers. I just Googled to see what I could find.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to following @jelv's advice,  you could also attempt keep the link alive by setting up a ThinkBroadband Ping Monitor,  by having their remote servers ping your router once per second,  which I would assume would be enough traffic to stop the line from going idle.  You would also benefit from having a graph of your line's responsiveness.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

That's a great idea with a useful diagnostic benefit ... if the user has a fixed IP address.  If they do not, looking at the VR plot, the TBB configuration would only be valid for a few minutes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For dynamic WAN IP addresses, other ping plotters are available that make use of dynamic DNS to maintain connectivity tracking.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

TBB can use host names now so can be used with a dynamic DNS provider.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Fix

@Browni,

Thank you for the pointer ... missed that very useful development.

Reading the guidance notes, one wonders just how quickly TBB will respond to a change in IP address ... which in turn if factored by how quickly DNS will distribute the update.  Given the VR plot, in this instance it would need to be very swift to be of any use.

@flinflon,

If you wanted to give this a try, the host name you would need to supply is username.plus.com

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flinflon
Dabbler

I have had a go at setting up TBB but no luck.

However last night I took everything off phone line that is: two phones, two adsl filters and used test socket. The downloaded TomTom Satnav updates over night (about 7Gb took about 10hrs) and discovered that sync speed now 3064 Kbps and noise margin 18.3 according to router stats-lite. Previous speed was 2200 Kpbs can't rember noise margin.

I shall now use main socket to see what happens, and then later add the two phone with their filters. 

flinflon
Dabbler

Back to main socket, both phones and filter attached. Sync speed remains at 3064 Kbps and Router stats lite 18.5 dB. In practice download is about 2.4 Mbps but upload is still poor at about 0.3 Mbps.

Can I expect any further improvement, or is this as good as it gets!