cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet blocking emails with OpenOffice ODT attached files?

Bookman
Grafter

PlusNet blocking emails with OpenOffice ODT attached files?

I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years but not encountered this problem before - today, when I send an email with an OpenOffice file attachment in the usual .odt format to another user at my domain the email doesn't arrive and doesn't appear in any of the Webmail boxes.
I'm using Ubuntu Linux and Thunderbird and trying to send an email with a simple one-page .odt attached file from my email name to another email name on my domain. I've done this in the past with no problems. But today I find the email does not arrive with the recipient and it cannot be found in any of my Webmail boxes. If I send the same email with the same file but saved as .rtf or .doc it arrives as normal. Changing the name of the same file but still using a .odt suffix doesn't work. And I now find that sending any other file with a .odt suffix fails too.
All the emails are shown as sent in Thunderbird but any with attached files with .odt at the end are not showing on Webmail. What is PlusNet doing with OpenOffice Open Document format file attachments?
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: PlusNet blocking emails with OpenOffice ODT attached files?

Works for me.
Squirrel mail thinks the MIME type is application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text
BTW This is Linux so no virus checkers or extra firewalls or any other anti-malware bits.
All ports are open - I place my trust in my router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
BTW This is Linux so no virus checkers or extra firewalls or any other anti-malware bits.
All ports are open - I place my trust in my router.

Same here - so I wonder why it works for you and not me? I assume that if Postini didn't like ODT files the emails would end up in my Webmail Spam box - but they are not there either. Where can the emails have gone?
Bookman
Grafter

...and today it's back to normal! I've just sent and received an OpenOffice .odt file with no problem. The ones sent yesterday seem to have disappeared forever. So I wonder what was tweaked at PlusNet to get things back to normal?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm a bit vague about this Postini thing.
Since I'm fairly new to PlusNet I have the anti-spam option switched off and I don't run any anti-spam measures myself.
Is everyone now on Postini?
I thought it was still in the testing phase - but I'm probably wrong there.
I only get about 3 spams a day so clever measures aren't needed.
I use gmail for "public" emails - it has an excellent spam checker.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, gmail uses postini!
As far as I know, even with spam checking turned off in your Manage My Mail you will be benefitting from postini's Blatant Spam Blocking. If you can live with 3 spams a day, you won't have to check for genuine emails being wrongly tagged as spam....  Lucky you Smiley
(I've just noticed, this thread has gone a bit off-topic...  Mods may want to move this post and the previous one to which it replies??)