cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet TG582n not up to the job

Paulagnew

PlusNet TG582n not up to the job

After having my fibre up and running for 5 days and tinkering with the router wireless settings i have decided it's only fit for the bucket as you certainly can't use it for wireless internet streaming (even in the same room). My old Netgear wireless N router  would stream Netflix without a problem via Apple TV  even with a dire 3mb max download speed, but trying to do the same job using this Fibre router is a complete waste of time.  So my question is to the people that have no doubt had much the same issues. What did you replace it with and what sort is speed are you getting over wi-fi. My current speed via ethernet is 70mbps and via wifi sometimes only around 0.5mbps
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: PlusNet TG582n not up to the job

Paul,
Have you examined your local WiFi channel spectrum using some thing like inSSIDer?  I run a pub and often have several users concurrently streaming video content through the TG582n over WiFi with minimal issues, even though on a good day I only get 5.5Mbps synch.  There again, being rural, my WiFi space is reasonably uncongested.
Your issue might not be solely the perceived limitations of the TG582n's wifi performance but more to do with co-channel or over-lapping channel WiFi interference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Indeed, I got my TG582n yesterday and one of my first tests was BBC iPlayer HD, wired and wireless. No problems.
Mine is preconfigured for channel 1 which has no conflicts (checked with INSSIDER) in my area, so I left that as delivered.
My PC connects at 130mbps (wireless) and streams fine, as does our iPad.
Could be faulty of course, but channel conflict should be checked first.
Paulagnew

Not checked with INSSIDER as I don't see the need giving that my Netgear router had no problems with wi-fi . I have tried manually changing the channels but with little to no diffrence in the connection speed. Even while standing an arms length from the router connection is terrible. I'm 100% positive that swapping the router out for a better quality alternative will solve the issue
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25