cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Profile with 21CN

machare
Rising Star

PlusNet Profile with 21CN

Is there a guide which explains how the Plusnet Profile works for a 21CN connection?
Can I display my Plusnet profile?
Is there any way that I can force an update?
14 REPLIES 14
x47c
Grafter

Re: PlusNet Profile with 21CN

LOL - you have asked a very pertinent question.
...and no, no one knows how it is working is probably the best answer.
So,
The BT IP profile is always set to 88.2% of the sync speed immediately at sync/resync connection.
the Plusnet profile is mean't to follow the BT IP setting.
....except there seems to be a problem.
It depends on when/if/whether Plusnet get the updated figures from the BT system - which obviously means a delay in any Plusnet profile update being applied to the individual's account.
On some it appears the updates are not working properely - or at all.
For some it appears the profiles drop in response to a reduced sync - but don't rise in response to an increase in sync.
In these cases the user has to raise a question on this thread to get it updated or alternatively raise a ticket.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.224.html
You can view your current plusnet profile here
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
As to why this is not working as it should - good question to which Plusnet don't know the answer as it lies in why is the BT system not updating Plusnet with the required data as and when it changes for the user.
I have no idea even if it is/was working what is the expected time lag between the sync event occuring at your router and the Plusnet profile being altered - I have heard mention on here 12 hours.
machare
Rising Star

Thanks, when I follow you link for my Plusnet Profile, I see a 'Current Line Speed' which is clearly wrong and if Plusnet are using this to calculate a profle based on the BT 88.2% could explain why I get reduced download speeds.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

"Current line speed" in the Member Centre *is* the Plusnet profile. It is nothing to do with current line speed. The value should be identical to BT's IP Profile, though rounded down to the nearest 0.1Mbps on 21CN.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: x47c
As to why this is not working as it should - good question to which Plusnet don't know the answer as it lies in why is the BT system not updating Plusnet with the required data as and when it changes for the user.
They do someone posted the reason (I can't find it) and I believe it has been fixed as it was down to a spurious character in the automatic report
x47c
Grafter

I thought that was the problem with the BT speedtester acting up......?
correct me if I'm wrong
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I didn't think so but then again I might be wrong
You weren't wrong
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's to do with BT Delta reports not arriving ( or in a timely manner) I believe, and this has been an ongoing issue since the BT IP profiling was changed last year.
@machare
Run the BT Diagnostic Tester, the BT IP profile should be 88.2% of your connection (sync) speed as shown by the tester.
The Current Line speed at the Member centre should match, as stated, post in the thread quoted in reply #1 if it needs a nudge.
If the BT IP profile isn't 88.2% of the sync speed for some reason, post about a stuck bRAS profile, you may need to raise a fault.
IKnowNothing
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
It's to do with BT Delta reports not arriving ( or in a timely manner) I believe, and this has been an ongoing issue since the BT IP profiling was changed last year.

For all ISPs or just Plusnet?
Anotherone
Champion

Not all ISP's set their own profile - that has implications as far as prioritised traffic is concerned, one or two others don't use the Delta reports but do it differently. Whether it's anything to do with say the format of the Delta report having changed, I don't know, so I can't really answer your question in full and haven't had the time to research it.
machare
Rising Star

If a Plusnet team member reads this please would note that my bRAS profile appears to be stuck as it does not match my BT IP profile which is indeed 88.2% of the sync speed.
Thanks for all the replies.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'll take a look into this within the hour and get back to you Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: machare
If a Plusnet team member reads this please would note that my bRAS profile appears to be stuck as it does not match my BT IP profile which is indeed 88.2% of the sync speed.
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to clartify as my earlier post wasn't clear enough, a stuck bRAS profile on 21CN is when the BT IP profile is not 88.2% of the sync speed.
When your PN Current Line speed doesn't match the BT IP profile, that's because the Plusnet one hasn't updated and it's best to post in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.224.html in the normal course of events, however a Plusnet rep has picked it up for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sorry that took me a little while long than I expected. You are currently syncing at: 1659 with a Line Rate of: 1476. I've updated your profile on our side to match that for you.
machare
Rising Star

Quote from: Anotherone
Just to clartify as my earlier post wasn't clear enough, a stuck bRAS profile on 21CN is when the BT IP profile is not 88.2% of the sync speed.
When your PN Current Line speed doesn't match the BT IP profile, that's because the Plusnet one hasn't updated and it's best to post in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101517.224.html in the normal course of events, however a Plusnet rep has picked it up for you.

Thanks - You are quite right I must remember to read carefully.
And thanks to Chris Pettit for updating my profile.