cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Essental v BBYW Option 1

robbiecsmith

PlusNet Essental v BBYW Option 1

Hi,
I was looking at PlusNet Essential which I presume has just come out and am trying to make my mind up which option I would better off on: PlusNet Essential or BBYW Option 1.
My phone calls are negligible, I only make a few long calls when I know they are free. I will make the odd 0845 call but  they seem to be the same price. Although free evening calls are nice, one of the reasons I came over from BT but not absolutely necessary.
Line rental is £10 + £2 two call features = £12, I think this is the same for both?
I am currently on BBYW Option 1 (now 2GB) with an extra 1GB usage (3GB total) which will now be £12 +  £9.99 + £1 = £22.99.
With PlusNet Essential I get 1GB so I would need 2GB extra usage, so that's £12 + £6.99 + £2 = £20.99
So I should be £2 better off with Essential (although without free evening calls). Am I right? Am I missing anything?
4 REPLIES 4
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: PlusNet Essental v BBYW Option 1

It may not be significant for you as a light phone user but others should note that chargeable calls cost 6p pm + 6p connection with Essentials as opposed to 3p pm + 4.5p connection with Home Phone Evenings and Weekends. They may be other differences in phone tariffs I have not looked.
robbiecsmith

Yeah the phone calls prices are the main difference but as you suggested as I am a low user that is not a problem for me.
But I think you are slightly incorrect on the prices, I think it is:
Essentials: 4ppmin + 6p setup
Home Phone: 3ppmin + 4.5p setup (which will always get round up to 5p for UK 01,02,03 calls).
So 1ppmin + 1p setup more expensive in the daytime UK 01,02,03.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Yes, sorry for the typo. It is 4p pm for Essentials not 6p pm as I wrote.
Not applicable

It is good to save a few quid but over the past month or two I have checked my telephone bill on a few occasions and priced up the calls as if they were chargeable (I am using Anytime+). I am not a light user of the telephone, but neither do I make a lot of calls (rarely more than 2 or 3 per day and sometimes none at all, particularly at the weekend).
After doing the sums, I was amazed at how the costs add up and I have come to the conclusion that I am better staying with my current package. Even a 5 minute call in the evening on Essentials would be in the region of 19p (if I am working it out correctly).
I suppose that to make this package work there would have to be very few calls in the week.