Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please reset my line

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Please reset my line

Rightyo, looks like you're in good hands here. Shout up if anything specific is needed, here's a line test results and recent RADIUS logs:
                  UP    DOWN
Loop Loss:  14.5  27.0 
SNR Margin:  14.0  7.0 
Errored Seconds:  0  0 
HEC Errors:  0 
Speed:  888  15777 

WBC 160K - 24M No delay (INP 0) 3dB Downstream, UC No delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Indicative Line Quality:  G  Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  993 
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamn
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi "Anotherone"
Your summary is correct.
Extension is round cable.
Will check the unused extension, (it's behind heavy furniture) but I removed the ring wire ages ago to remove any REIN.
Thanks,
Graham.
PS. Connection still very slow and the disconnect yesterday was my fault.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for the data Chris.
The extension cable from the splitter to the filter for the modem/router is going to be the issue. Being round, it may be twisted pair, but it will likely have a bell wire.
This could well be the cause of the highish CRC count and the MTBE which could be better, but at least the ILQ is Green.
From the WBC profile that Chris has posted your current DS Target SNRM is 3dB and there is no Interleaving on the line, so you definitely don't want to have a reset at this time. But you'll notice that the current SNRM when Chris did the check is 7 suggesting quite a big variation in SNRM that you could do without.
How long is the lead between the splitter and the filter for the modem/router?
Also just thinking about options, the unused socket, how long roughly is the cable from the master to this socket? Is it anywhere near/how far from the modem/router? Ideas here will depend on wire colours.
Interesting that the US speed is 888kbps with No Interleaving! There's not too much data on what can happen with the US, it implies it may be banded in some way, but I think we should ignore that whilst trying to resolve the errors and the slightly below par DS sync speed.
When you say the connection is "very slow", I presume that this is from speedtest results as per an earlier post. I'm wondering if this might be some congestion or even local exchange contention. I don't know if Chris Parr could have a look at that?
grahamn
Rising Star

Hi,
I reckon we've got about 25m of cable from splitter to router.
The other extension really isn't that accessible but it's probably 15m away on the cable run,  across a hallway.
We have long cable runs along a hallways in a bungalow along skirting and around door frames.
I have a run of new modem cable. If we want to eliminate the extension wiring, I could substitute the entire extension cable run with twisted pair from modem to splitter? It wouldn't work long term due the cable run going across walkways etc, but if it would prove / disprove existing wiring in the short term would that be an idea?
The performance in the recent past seems to be high latency with no obvious pattern....but I haven't run a trace-route for some time.
PS. Router is a Draytek 2850vn - my wife's business relies on the Draytel VOIP.
Thanks again.
EDIT: Socket details:
6 appears to be white w green trace
5 white w/blue
4 white /orange
3 brown with white
2 blue with white
1green with white
Each termination has two cables of the same colour
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, 25m of cable with probably a bell-wire in it isn't good. Was this a bought cable, if so can you identify exactly what it is?
The "socket details" - that's the unused extension socket or the master? If it's the extension, that's a bit worrying because where does the 2nd cable go?
It's the correct standard of cable - CW1308 - the wire on 3 will be Orange with a white trace, and on 2 Blue with a white trace, but colours aren't always absolutely perfect.
What type of cable is this "new modem cable", is it round or flat, what connectors does it have? Are they Both RJ11 modem plugs or is either a BT plug?
grahamn
Rising Star

Extension cabling has been in house since moved in 15 yrs ago. I may be being pessimistic about the run, but it is long.
The socket is the spare one - EDIT : Ahhh, looks like one of the cables goes into the loft!! Not sure where that would end up (loft is boarded) and no other active sockets elsewhere, but a couple of "dead" ones, we've never used. Should those ends be removed from that "spare" socket if I can work out which is which?
My "new" cable is Belkin - 10m hi Speed modem cable RJ11 M-M. It is round and quite "thick" cable.
If pics help (and if there's a way of getting them to you on here) let me know Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

OK, let's just try and understand the fixed cabling again. From your earlier post I was getting the impression that the BT incoming cable (underground) went to the master socket where you have the splitter (which I assume is one of these solid plug-in types with 2 sockets opposite the plug) and then a cable went on to this unused extension.
So in your last post, I'm now thinking you mean the BT cable from outside (no doubt there's a connection somewhere but you mentioned an LJU) goes to the wire that goes to the unused socket and the cable then goes to the "master" with the splitter. Would that be right?
I assume from your description, your sockets etc are like the LJU's on this page. Can you check and say that wherever there is a connection or socket which of those on that page matches what you have and which ones have a yellow capacitor and/or resistor in them?
grahamn
Rising Star

BT underground cable def goes into old style white box acting as master socket.
The Splitter - this has a fixed cable and a socket and plugs into the master socket. So when this unplugs, we have no extensions active.
The fixed cable becomes the extension wiring (to the spare socket) and the socket on that extension block feeds the filter and base station phone.
The extension wire seems to go into the (spare) socket and out again and onto the next extension that is connected to the router. The spare socket has no capacitor; I will check the master shortly.
EDIT: MASTER socket has capacitor.

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, right, all is becoming clearer. This splitter plug with cable, is it screwed together or stuck together?
I take it the socket for the router has no capacitor?
grahamn
Rising Star

Splitter looks like a sealed unit.
No capacitor in socket that feeds router.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: grahamn
If pics help (and if there's a way of getting them to you on here) let me know Smiley

Pictures might help next time you reply if you look at the bottom of the box it says
+ Additional Options and Attachments...
clock on that and you will see attachments in the drop down.
It is a little tricky at first as you can only add one at a time  then for the next one you click "more attachments "
then you can add another -- at least that is how I did it Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that cedlor, forgot to answer that Embarrassed  No worries, we've got it now.
That's a shame that the splitter plug is sealed, because if you could disconnect the bell wire in it, that would have a significant beneficial effect. How nimble are you with your fingers and small tools?
If you want to post pics, feel free, but only bother if you already have them.
With the investigations you have been doing, have you lost sync at all? Can you post the current stats?
grahamn
Rising Star

No loss of sync other than earlier today for some reason and when unplugging - examining the splitter.
Nothing really changed other the power cuts which kicked all this off.
In terms of nimble, can I remove connections from within the spare socket? The router end already only has 2 + 5 connected I believe.
Current stats will be very new after unplugging the splitter a short while ago to see if it was openable...
snr = 6
UP =88888
DOWN = 15.86
LOOP ATT = 27
UPTIME = 20 MINS (I disconnected to see splitter)
RX and TX CRC = 0
ps. comms now ultra slow...press submit and wait one minute.
Anotherone
Champion

That could be this forum being slow. If everything is slow then if you have a Disconnect button for your PPP Internet session in your modem/router's GUI, you can click that, wait 30 seconds, and the click Connect. If you check which Gateway you are on before and after doing that, you should find you've hopped Gateway and hopefully will have some better speed unless it local exchange congestion.
Well your sync speeds are much the same as before, is that SNRM 6 both up and down?
As far as connections go, it's not the far end that is the primary issue, it's the master socket end. The bell wire connects to the ring capacitor which is connected to one side of the line, so the bell wire acts as a nice aerial that causes imbalance and interference on the line.
If you feel you can manage it,  you need to break into the cable sheath reasonably close to the plug being very careful not to damage the insulation on the wires inside. Where you see the Orange with white trace, cut it with a pair of wire cutters, again being careful not to damage the other wires.
Separate the cut ends and tape up so they can't touch and to protect the cable where you've entered the sheath.
There is one other trick that might work that I've not thought of until now,  if you get a RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter (it's a solid block adapter) you could plug that into the modem/router socket of the filter you have at the master socket and plug the filter direct into the master socket and then plug your splitter/extension cable into that.  Modem/router sockets on filters only have the two wires for the line present (unfiltered), no bell wire. Obviously the phone socket is filtered, you can't use it for any connection for a modem/router. The disadvantage of this idea is the extra connector in the modem/router chain.
Edit; If you decide to go for the "cut the wire" method, I wouldn't do it tonight, leave it until tomorrow as you have had a "drop" in sync already it might upset the DLM as you have a highish error count. If you have that Disconnect button in the GUI, always best to do that anyway and then power off the modem/router next, not just unplug it from the line. Stay off-line for about 10 minutes ideally.
grahamn
Rising Star

Ok,  Just opened up the Master again and only 2 and 5 are connected, so no ring wire to interfere.
I only have one SNR reported on the Draytek, so can only give the one value (5 - 6).
I note the line has disconnected again (4 and a bit hrs ago)....again hasn't done that for weeks, now that's two days on the trot. All up/down sync speed values remain as before.
Rx CRC errors = 1688 in 4h 45m uptime.