cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please re-open ticket

James
Grafter

Re: Please re-open ticket

I'll let you know once it's completed.  I was tempted to try 40/2 but I wasn't sure if that might make it worse.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Looking at the bit loading graph it runs out of steam before the second upstream frequency range kicks in.
Any thing which uses a lower frequency range for upstream would help, I'm happy to sacrifice a bit of downstream to gain some upstream.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: npr
The root cause of the problem is aluminium cables from the cabinet to pole. IMO BT don't want to risk being drawn in to changing this for copper so they playing hard with the fault.

npr,
As I said, we interlopers are short on facts.  Given that you have aluminium in your local infrastructure, switching to a different ISP (as some have suggested here) is not going to change that fundamentally flawed infrastructure.  It is my understanding that aluminium is a big "No-No" for high-speed ADSL.  If it has not already been done, at the very least BTOR need to go check every crimp on your circuit if they are not prepared to replace the aluminium in your D-Side.  I have aluminium on my pole riser cable and most of the pairs there-in are goosed, however whilst at least one spare pair will deliver a serviceable connection (no commitment to quality) BTOR will not replace it.
As said elsewhere, Plus Net requires a clear service level from BTOR so that PN can deliver the level of service their customers require.  Until an ISP has the balls to take BTOR "on" with OFFCOM, there will be no discernible improvement in BTOR's performance as there is neither a "carrot" to entice them nor a "stick" with which to beat this monopoly supplier into doing better.  Plus Net take our money in good faith and then BTOR let both PN and their customer down with no come backs - it is a bad business model which gives no incentive to do better.
Plus Net (James?) does not seem to be getting this message - at least he is not acknowledging the merit of the argument  here.  I can only conclude that none of the ISPs have the will to take BTOR to task.  Clearly part of the problem is that there is no other supplier outside of selected urban locations with the infrastructure to deliver the service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is ordering a second line and transferring the number and service to that an option? If that works the existing line could then be terminated.
David
npr
Pro

Quote from: townman

Clearly part of the problem is that there is no other supplier outside of selected urban locations with the infrastructure to deliver the service.

If only there was a cable supplier here I would be off like a shot.
I would happily pay twice the price to be rid of BT.
I am seriously thinking of abandoning the phone line and going to mobile internet. I'm not a heavy user so this may just be a realistic alternative, it would certainly give me some satisfaction to be rid of BT.
@spraxyt
BT have changed the D side pair once, it made no difference. My feelings are that BT should take responsibility and try swapping out pairs until a half decent pair is found. That or get their hands dirty, pull up some manhole covers and repair the defective joints.
npr
Pro

Quote from: James
I've placed the order - should complete on Monday,

@ James,
Do you know if anything has happened regarding this?
I've seen nothing to indicate this has been tried.
Only contact I've had from Plusnet is asking me to complete a questionnaire regarding my complaint.  < sigh >
James
Grafter

Sorry - that was me!
Let me run a couple of checks and get back to you.
npr
Pro

Quote from: James
I've placed the order - should complete on Monday, so we'll see if this makes any difference.

I've still heard nothing from Plusnet!
So I assume this complaint and issue has now been abandoned by Plusnet.
James
Grafter

NPR - Really sorry, I've completely forgotten about this.
Give me ten minutes or so.  Can you also PM me a mobile number to phone you on?