Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please, please help.

Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Please, please help.

Hi,
Im gonna start off by saying this: ever since Ive had broadband with plusnet ive had faults. If you checked my profile,you would see the amount of tickets and faults I have raised, even had an engineer out to my property.
Constant dropping, slow speeds, unconnectivity, ive had interleaving both on and off, and everytime ill get a period of abouth 2-3 weeks perfect internet, then something will go wrong. Only the other day plusnet sent me a new router to try and solve a problem and now I come home from work and the internet is unusable, currently syncing at around 100kbps, as tested via BT Speedtest.
Now, for some reason, everytime i try to raise a tiket it just goes straight to "Thanks, you've given us evrything we need to know" before I even input any faults!
I hate to moan, and I hate to nag, but please, what is going on? I pay for a service I receive intermittently. If it cant be solved (which by the time anyone form support reads this Ill no doubt syncing perfectly again) then Ill have no choice but to switch providers.
And just to state:
I have one laptop via ethernet, one laptop wireless, and two iphones wireless.BT speedtest conducted through ethenet laptop, and all other devices resulting in 2-3 minutes to open a single webpage. No downloads, no nothing going on. Dial tone on telephone line is clear.
Thanks,
Jordan.
13 REPLIES 13
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Please, please help.

Hi
Sorry to hear of your troubles.  Can I ask 1 thing....  have you tried connecting to the TEST socket behind the Master socket.  If you have a Master socket like the one pictured, and remove the lower faceplate, there is a socket behind this.  Connect your router to this with a filter, and this disconnects all internal phone wiring.  Be aware any wired phone extension will not work.....  Its one of the first things PlusNet will ask you to try.  Sorry if you have already tried this.....  Next post your router stats, important info is Sync Speed and SNR values.  If you can do this both connected normally, and in the TEST socket.
We can then take it from there Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jordanpetch,
I've just been looking back through your previous thread where you had been using your brother's router. How has your kit been set up? Has it been connected using extension cables/sockets?
Jojo Smiley
p.s. You asked in your recent fault ticket why you had little pauses between your dial tone, That will be because you have a voicemail message on your phone. If you hear a tone like that then dial 1571 and you will be able to access your messages.
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
First off, thanks for your replies. I appreciate it. Please bare with me if I take a few days to reply!
The faceplate is not like the one you described/showed me. It's a double faceplate with a connection for both my router and my phone line. The engineer who came fitted it, and said it was a better device all round as it did not need a microfilter as one was already built in. If you need clarification on this, let me know.
As for my router stats, I got these off the router:

Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:14:21
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 15,148
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 13,432
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.22 / 10.71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 23.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 10.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,064
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 90 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the first thing is you only have an up time of 14 minutes, do you keep your router on 24/7
the  evening is a very bad time to connect or power up
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
There are a couple of drops showing on your line but certainly nothing major. The connection profile is at 11000 which isn't as high as it has been, though that shouldn't be causing you any issues either.
I've just closed off the faults troubleshooter for you so you should now be able to raise a new fault, if you do that we'll get investigating for you.
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi,
The router was powered off as the electricity was temporarily cut off. It can still go down after days of been connected. And I understand that 90% of the time it's fine, but why the other 10% is it unusable?
Thanks for closing the troubleshooter. If the problem happens again I'll do several BT speedtests and then open up the ticket.
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Update:
Router powered itself off. All lights but the power went off then came back on? Now lights are intermittently flashing. This is not only me
Whose getting hacked off now but the entire house.
This is a new router sent to us by plusnet only a few weeks ago.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Jordanpetch,
I doubt it was anything to do with the router. The line is looking good now apart from that drop at the time of your last post where it was off for 3 minutes. The drop before that was the profile going back up. Nothing there I would be concerned about though.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi jo
Just got on the Internet around 9pm and it is completely unusable, being forced to use 3G on phone to get here. After 40 mins of waiting managed to do a BT speediest and got a download speed of  169kbps.
If you for whatever reason can't see this result, I have screenshots of the test to verify.

Any thoughts?
Getting pretty annoyed now. If there's no answer then I'd like to look at my options to terminate my contract because right now I'm paying for a sevice I can barely use.
Denzil
Grafter

The double faceplate you describe sounds like a filtered faceplate. If that is the case it can still be unscrewed to reveal the test socket underneath. It is worth trying to see if there is any difference in the sync rate.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jordanpetch,
Yes, I can see the results of your speed test. If you can raise a fault I'll get it picked up straight away.
Jojo Smiley
Jordanpetch
Dabbler

Hi jo,
Opened the ticket up this morning. Interesting point to note, I did a speedtest this
Morning (using speedtest.net) and was getting very high pings. I booted up my xbox to see if this was affecting gaming and as soon as my xbox connected (via Ethernet) my brothers wireless laptop connection speeds dropped to next to nothing, then slowly creeped back up once the xbox had been switched off
I tried again to see if this would happen a second time, but nothing happened.
Maybe something to do with my ip adresses?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jordanpetch,
If something else is using the network then other machines will see a slower connection.
Jojo Smiley