cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with speed problem....

crossfancy
Grafter

Please help with speed problem....

Hello, I've had an outstanding speed issue logged on ticket 25563411 for some time now (three weeks!) and I don't appear to be getting anywhere with the support team. Please could someone help me?!
For months my speed was consistently around 2mb but has dropped to under 0.5mb. When I reboot my router it can see 2mb but for some reason the line doesn't appear to reset at the higher speed, despite  leaving it for 3 days to allow BT to reset the line.
I've changed the microfilter and cable to the router, have used the master socket etc.
Has anyone got any ideas about what the problem might be and what I might be able to do to fix it?
Thanks and best regards, Simon
22 REPLIES 22
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Please help with speed problem....

Let's see some router stats and speed test figures.
crossfancy
Grafter

Hi, the BT speed test this evening is showing:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 960 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 447 kbps
Up until this test this always showed around 1800 kbps as the down-stream speed, so I'm not sure if this could just be due to the network traffic this evening.
geewizz
Grafter

What about your router stats?
crossfancy
Grafter

I think these are the appropriate ones but please let me know if they're not.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 896 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 58 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 15 db

Thanks for your help on this I do really appreciate it.
crossfancy
Grafter

Thought I'd run the test again this morning and it can see the higher speed again, so I'm really confused.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 1856 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 446 kbps

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1856 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 60 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 12 db 14 db
James
Grafter

Hi Crossfancy,
Part of the problem is your distance from the exchange, but normally I'd expect to see higher speeds.
Secondly, now that you are getting a higher sync speed (the ~1800 figure), you need that to remain at that level for 3 days prior to your actual speeds going up.  Have a read of this:
link:speed
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It would be useful, to save us asking dumb questions and repeating what you've already done, to tell us what diagnostics procedures and changes you've been through already.
PS I note the attenuation changed by 2dB but that's maybe within normal "environmental" changes. My line changes by 2% to 3% or so regularly, though it used to change more (in winter).
crossfancy
Grafter

Thanks. I've been rebooting the router every day for the last few weeks and it can usually see 1800+ but when I go online the next day and check again it's back down to a lower reading until I reboot again, I'd been assuming this was BT resetting something overnight. Something seems to be slowing things down so that it's not staying consistently high for 3 days.
What I've tried is:
Checked the cabling between the BT line and router. I'm wireless so no PC to router cable to worry about.
Rebooted both the router and PC
Replaced the microfilters and unplugged the additional internal phone line and sky box
Connected through the master socket
If I didn't know that for months I'd had a 2mb service without problem I'd assume that it's just not possible for me to have higher than 0.5mb.
Could it be a router problem?
Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Best regards
Simon
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You said you raised a ticket, what have PlusNet taken you through so far?
James
Grafter

Thanks Simon.
Your noise margin is quite high (12dB) which is probably part of the problem.
This may be related to a router, wiring or line issue, which may well have now resolved itself.  I'd like you to, if possible, to connect your filter to the test socket behind your master socket faceplate and to try a different router if at all possible and see if your sync and SNR figures change at all.
puddy
Grafter

Try and get a new BT-i socket it may help bring your noise margin down ask plusnet to consider sending you one or get one from ebay.
You need a BT master socket to fit it. its has to have ther BT logo on the box and have a line that goes through the middle it will not fit a new BT openreach logo box
puddy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Thanks Simon.
Your noise margin is quite high (12dB) which is probably part of the problem.

Am I missing something here? Is the OP on adslmax? If so ain't the noise margin a function of line speed so if the line speed is increased the noise margin will come down?
James
Grafter

It's the other way around.
If the noise margin is reduced, the sync speed will go up.  Margin controls the sync speed not vice versa.
itsme
Grafter

So should you not request BT to lower the noise margin for the OP to get a better sync speed?
With his attenuation it's very unlikely that the OP can improve the noise margin by fiddling with the internal wiring.