Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please avoid exceeding 17GB or further management will be applied

Santiago
Grafter

Please avoid exceeding 17GB or further management will be applied

Just got this message this morning from force9
Important Notice - you have used 13GB of your allowance.
You have exceeded 66% of your allowance. This usage includes any downloading and uploading during peak-times (4pm till Midnight).  
Action: Level 1 Management will apply to your peak-time usage until the end of the billing month.
Please avoid exceeding 17GB or further management will be applied.
Need more allowance? Upgrade now

Hmm,  my package is for 20 GB usage and today is the (EDIT) second to last day of the billing period.
I think it is strange that I am being told not to use the usage I have paid for Huh
Maybe I should upgrade as suggested and then I would have a higher allowance that I would be asked to avoid using.
12 REPLIES 12
jim306
Grafter

Re: Please avoid exceeding 17GB or further management will be applied

Plusnet's usage/network shaping is a complete farce, who knows what allowance you can use, peak/off peak times, traffic management etc etc. Makes using the internet with plusnet a very strange experience. I have a premier option 1 account which seems to have some sort of restriction anytime of the day usually on peer to peer ( and im not just talking about downloading, media streams are also badly affected at peak time). I am only on about a 2 meg line, it seems crazy that someone like me has big limits on peer to peer when someone who has say a 6-7 meg connection and could happily be downloading at full speed from HTTP all day long if they wanted! who is going to be using more bandwidth ?Huh
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Santiago
Grafter

Jim
I have read that and it says
Broadband Premier Option 1 is provided with 20GB allowance for peak-time (4pm-Midnight) usage.

So why are force 9 telling me to avoid using the remainer of my paid for 20GB allowance?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Santiago,
There is a table on that page which shows that the restrictions on Premier Option 1 start at 13GB.
If Premier isn't suiting you anymore we have the BBYW product range which may be better for you. The peak times are longer but the restrictions don't kick in until you've used all the allowance on that account.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jim306
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi Santiago,
There is a table on that page which shows that the restrictions on Premier Option 1 start at 13GB.
If Premier isn't suiting you anymore we have the BBYW product range which may be better for you. The peak times are longer but the restrictions don't kick in until you've used all the allowance on that account.

Yeh above that table it says this :
The table below shows an example of the restrictions that are applied at the busiest times (at the time of writing these are on Monday and Tuesday evenings).
That should be re-written to say restrictions will apply at all times during peak times because this is what happens!
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Full quote of preceding post removed as er the Forum Rules ]
Santiago
Grafter

@Chris
What the Premier package offers is fine for me. It is what is delivered that bothers me and
I have been on here grumbling about this before.
I manage my peak time usage and have never exceeded the 20GB. I have to say I also enjoy the benefit of the 00.00 to 16.00 off peak period.
My point was I think it is strange that you are asking me to avoid using over 17GB when the package is for 20 GB.
Santiago
Grafter

@jim306
I see you decided to vote with your feet Lips_are_sealed
Assos
Grafter

Quote from: jim306
The table below shows an example of the restrictions that are applied at the busiest times (at the time of writing these are on Monday and Tuesday evenings).

Actually, that's below the table Chris is referring to and reffers to a different table completely. The text and table Chris is reffering to is as follows:
Broadband Premier is designed for all kinds of Internet activity, including file downloading, as with peer-to-peer or Binary USENET. You should note that for these data-intensive activities, download speeds may slow down when the network is busy. See how Broadband Premier differs from Broadband Your Way.
Broadband Premier Option 1 is provided with 20GB allowance for peak-time (4pm-Midnight) usage.
When the allowance is reached, peak-time file transfer applications such as peer-to-peer are blocked until your next billing date. These management policies are designed to stop overuse of the product from affecting the service for everybody else.

Peak-time usage within a billing month Speed of P2P, USENET, file transfer applications Speed of other Internet activities
Up to 13GB Up to line speed* Up to line speed*
13 - 17GB Up to 256Kbps Up to 2Mbps
17 - 20GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps
20GB+ Blocked Up to 512Kbps

* We cannot guarantee line speed as broadband is delivered over a shared network and will always be subject to our traffic management policies.

Force9 / PlusNet decided to drop the premier products from sale, because to make them sustainable means they are very confusing (as illustrated in this thread).
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Wondered how you got that table to display properly - using quote I found out - it's a bit complicated  Sad
jim306
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
@jim306
I see you decided to vote with your feet Lips_are_sealed

I actually have 2 seperate accounts with plusnet at different properties, one is on bb plus 14.99 package which is fine for what i want. My Premier connection at my home is the one im migrating away from. I have not been 100% happy with this connection for a long time. Frist the speed has dropped from around 4.5 meg when i first joined to around 2 meg (2.5 if the exchange is feeling really generous) now. Secondly im getting really p**sed off with the amount of traffic shaping on premier.
Quote from: Assos
Quote from: jim306

Actually, that's below the table Chris is referring to and reffers to a different table completely. The text and table Chris is reffering to is as follows:
Broadband Premier is designed for all kinds of Internet activity, including file downloading, as with peer-to-peer or Binary USENET. You should note that for these data-intensive activities, download speeds may slow down when the network is busy. See how Broadband Premier differs from Broadband Your Way.
When the allowance is reached, peak-time file transfer applications such as peer-to-peer are blocked until your next billing date. These management policies are designed to stop overuse of the product from affecting the service for everybody else.

Peak-time usage within a billing month Speed of P2P, USENET, file transfer applications Speed of other Internet activities
Up to 13GB Up to line speed* Up to line speed*
13 - 17GB Up to 256Kbps Up to 2Mbps
17 - 20GB Up to 128Kbps Up to 1Mbps
20GB+ Blocked Up to 512Kbps

* We cannot guarantee line speed as broadband is delivered over a shared network and will always be subject to our traffic management policies.

Force9 / PlusNet decided to drop the premier products from sale, because to make them sustainable means they are very confusing (as illustrated in this thread).

Maybe if plusnet were as quick at resolving there own errors rather than pointing out other peoples we would know where we stand with useage allowances. Plusnet used to be the best unlimited broadband supplier, im a long term user of plusnet and remember when "premier" was  premier, now its more like championship or league 1.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jim306,
We have released a number of alternative products since premier, perhaps one of these might suit your usage better? The traffic prioritisation is a lot simpler on these accounts, details can be found here.
Alternatively I'd be happy to take a look at your existing issues if you wish?
Santiago
Grafter

Maybe if plusnet were as quick at resolving there own errors rather than pointing out other peoples

Hee Hee  Cheesy