cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please assure me these speeds will improve...

JUICE690
Dabbler

Please assure me these speeds will improve...

Hi, new plusnet subscriber here. I moved into a new house and decided to try out a different provider, but I very dissapointed with the my download speeds, I may aswell be on dial-up!
Right now at 2.44am I'm downloading from a usenet server at 29-32Kb/sec  Huh at peak times I'm lucky to even reach 5Kb! (incedently on talktalks basic package during peak time I was getting 300-400k/sec /600-700k off peak) Now I'm giving Plusnet the benifit of the doubt and that the speeds are because I've only been online with you since Friday (5th September) and it will vastly improve,
I've run a broadband speed test and I'm being told I should get around 6000kb/sec down and 371 up
Please assure me these speeds will improve soon or I may have to look elsewhere for my broadband Embarrassed
19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Please assure me these speeds will improve...

Is it possible to post your line stats from your router, something like:
Downstream Rate:  5728 kbps
Upstream Rate: 832 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 9.0 dB (Downstream), 11.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 48.6 dB (Downstream), 28.5 dB (Upstream)
also can you try the bt speed tester at http://speedtester.bt.com/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You say you are in a new house - I take that to be a brand new house ?
Is it in a fairly new large development - which would mean that BT would have had to put in a large multi-pair cable.
If so one would expect it to be high quality line back to the exchange.
Must be a fault somewhere.  Changing to another ISP would not improve things - as they use just the same local loop - unless you are in a cable TV phone area ( Virgin media )
We sometimes forget that the local telephone loop was never designed to carry radio freqency signals of about 10MHz , and DSL has  been a very clever trick  - but it is far from perfect.
We just have to hope that Fibre optic to every premise will arrive sometime in our lifetime.

JUICE690
Dabbler

Quote from: adiewoo

Hi there here are the speed test results  Wink (looking into line stats)
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 7520 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4741 kbps
pierre_pierre
Grafter

those results look good but the other part of the equation is this
downloading from a usenet server at 29-32Kb/sec

it depends what package you are on but usenet is a restricted service in some cases
see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
and http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
JUICE690
Dabbler

Hi there, I'm on the basic package right now & I realised it would be capped but as you can see in your second link I should get somewhere around 256k between 12-8am, im not even getting 50 Embarrassed
cp:quote
JUICE690
Dabbler

Quote from: adiewoo

Don't seem to be able to get my line stats, I'm using a Belkin G+ Mimo F5D9230-4 v3100, could you let me know how you got yours, thanks Wink
zubel
Community Veteran

256Kbps = 32KB/s download speed.
So it seems that the package is operating exactly within it's boundaries.
B.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

JUICE690
Dabbler

Wow, even on the £15 package peak times will still only be around 50k/ps? and I thought talktalks capping was a pain, that's ridiculous.
So my only choice is to pay double what I'm paying at the moment, or sign up with someone else, because I certainly can't work within those boundaries, shame because the help here has been far better than talktalk ever was.
Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Careful, awaiting a reply from Barry, I think he has his units wrong, see my screen shot above
zubel
Community Veteran

The screenshot shows the limitations in Kilobits per second.  8 bits per byte, so divide the Kbps figure by 8 to give the Kilobytes per second.
Those are exactly the speeds I would expect for Binary usenet at those times on BBYW1
However, if it's text-only usenet then it should be performing much better (are you using news.plus.net or usenet.plus.net?).  AFAIK the traffic management basically puts all external news providers into the Binary Newsgroup queue as there is no way of differentiating binary from non-binary.
B.

JUICE690
Dabbler

Quote from: Barry
Those are exactly the speeds I would expect for Binary usenet at those times on BBYW1

Thanks everyone for your help, it is an external binary newsgroup, the capping seems awfully harsh though. I'm not sure how one company (sorry I'll mention talkalk again) can, for the price of £6 per month offer the speeds I posted above at around the same times in the day and plusnet for £10pm and a 2gb limit cap me to around 5k!
I hope my post isn't coming across as angry in anyway, I am just generally surprised and disappointed. Undecided
James
Grafter

Hi JUICE690,
Broadband Your Way Option 1 is designed solely for those who don't use the internet that much and are really looking for a service for email, web and perhaps a little bit of streaming.  Because of that, heavy use applications such as P2P and Usenet are restricted.
Whilst there are still restrictions being applied on our other products, they also offer periods of time when those restrictions aren't in place, so you can schedule your larger downloads for "off peak" times and they'll be a lot faster.
This is really done so that our customers are able to get "time sensitive" applications like web and email down at a good speed throughout the day and that they are not impacted by heavy use things like usenet.
Skylit
Dabbler

Just go pro, its alot better in my eyes. and 19.99 is nothing for the help you get here.
I was with AOL/Talktalk for 10 years, there support is dreadful, i wouldnt take their service for free. lols.