Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planned Transit Maintenance - Tuesday 12th October Midnight-6.00am

Mav
Fixes: 514

Planned Transit Maintenance - Tuesday 12th October Midnight-6.00am

According to the service status:
Am I likely to notice the work?
The routing of certain traffic may be briefly interrupted, however it's very unlikely that this will be noticed by any of our customers.
Is there anything else I need to know?
No.

I lost connection sometime after midnight and spent ages attempting router & PC reboots and all other fault-finding I could think of and finally found that the DNS Servers were not resolving.
Rang Sheffield to hear a recorded notice that some users will have lost connection till 7am.
I wonder why this is not in the service status?
Cheers
Edit: Currently connected via my mother's Sky account

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

17 REPLIES 17
gyre
Grafter

Re: Planned Transit Maintenance - Tuesday 12th October Midnight-6.00am

I've also lost some level of connectivity.  After a while trying to diagnose it, I've just disabled my DSL and am using the other WAN connection (3g) on my 2920 for the night Smiley
Would have been nice to have had a better heads-up tho.  Thought it was just me messing things up Smiley
-- gyre --
sabayon
Grafter

Same here in Newcastle. Sad
gyre
Grafter

Appears to be back up for me in Bristol.
terminal
Grafter

same here, got disconnected at midnight and router couldn't get my IP address (was getting one in the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx range) throughout the night. just managed to reconnect at 06:00
samscam

Here in Manchester my connection was out from midnight until 6am. Agree with others that this should have been mentioned on the service status page...
Paulalex
Grafter

And here was me thinking i broke my router, i reset it twice  Embarrassed
gyre
Grafter

That's the problem when something breaks and you can't really find the exact match on the service page.  You think it is you.
In my case, I was messing about with DNS caching on the local network and assumed it was something I'd done for a bit.
Did test the fall-over decisions I'd made between the 2 wan connections tho.  Smiley
-- gyre --
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Unfortunately it wasn't the maintenance we posted about that caused the disconnections, there was a period of unrelated maintenance on the Wholesale network overnight. We missed the briefing advising of this and therefore didn't post it to service status, many apologies for that. I'm going to get my head together with the team later and try and come up with a better way of handling the emails for planned wholesale outages so we can ensure they are posted to service status.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
treeman

I too was affected by last night's outtage, and spent nearly a hour trying to reconnect. I do think the right and proper thing to do, would be now to change the 'up and running' status on the service staus bullatin to reflect that it in fact has not been fault free for 11 days and 19 hours.
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately it wasn't the maintenance we posted about that caused the disconnections, there was a period of unrelated maintenance on the Wholesale network overnight. We missed the briefing advising of this and therefore didn't post it to service status, many apologies for that. I'm going to get my head together with the team later and try and come up with a better way of handling the emails for planned wholesale outages so we can ensure they are posted to service status.

Are you going to post a retrospective announcement to explain what happened to people who lost connection overnight?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pittdj
Grafter

Oddly my interconnection was fine first thing this morning, at about 0630, and was OK until about 0900. The router did show a couple of overnight events but it was still connected and functioning. At 0930 I found I was getting a BT Wholesale page, a router reboot sorted that. I know there were unexpected events overnight but it would seem there was another unexpected event between 0900 and 0930. I am on the Brentwood exchange.
coastergrotto
Grafter

Exactly the same happened to me.    I was in bed watching the BBC iPlayer when the connection dropped.      I came downstairs and noticed my other laptop was the same and I was showing the IP address 172.16.118.25.      I rang Plusnet and heard the recorded message saying some users will be disconnected until 7am so I went back to bed and played some recorded iPlayer programees.  All seems OK now though.
snailspace
Grafter

Me too!!  Disconnected just after midnight and spent ages trying all the usual suspects.  Angry
Connected at 9:30 but seemed SLOOOOw
PN speed test shows 2.7M  -  I usually get 12-13Mb
PN profile is 3000!!!!!!  instead of the 14000 it has been.
BT speedtest won't run!  - again so I can't check BT profile
CS say there's 'something wrong their end' but it might be a faulty router  Huh  They'll raise a fault and the faults team will contact me.
Oh, NO, not AGAIN - the last fault took months to sort out
The questions I was asking CS was "Why has my profile dropped so dramatically (75%+)after one service outage" and "How long for profiles to recover?"
Neither question has been answered.
Any ideas?  All help gratefully received
Cheers, Terry
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Terry,
Your slow speeds are completely unrelated to last night, your profile dropped down on the 29th September to 3000 and rose back to 13000 yesterday. I've matched the profile on our side up to 13000 so if you log into your router and disconnect/reconnect you should be back to normal speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.