Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pings and gateways

Dubb3d
Grafter

Pings and gateways

Heya,
Ive been on fastpath now for a while and was happy until today.
Usually I ping bbc.co.uk at around 30ms, this evening it has varied between 40-70ms, this variability has alot to do with my IP and gateway (maybe), I can reboot my router to obtain a new IP and the latencies will therefore change.
I had this same problem on O2 where I had to keep rebooting my router until I got a set of pings I could play games on, Although its not quite that bad on plusnet I still find this variance a bit annoying.
So my question would be, is this normal or is there something I can do to get some more stability?
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Pings and gateways

At peak times anything is possible! I wouldn't go rebooting your router too often just to change IP & Gateway, it may make the exchange DLM think you have an unstable line and raise your Target SNRM and possibly turn on Interleaving. Have a look at you Router login/main stats page to see if you have a button marked disconnect or similar (NOT resync/reboot). This way you can discoonect your PPP session with PN and hopefully when you reconnect, usually automatically, you'll have another gateway & IP. Worth having a check to see which gateway you are on and what the packet drops are like first, you might already be on one of the better ones!
dieselglider
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I just tried too, and am getting 80ms average instead of the more usual 45-50ms.  I'm on pte-ag2.
Anotherone
Champion

pte -ag02 was showing a fair number of drops around 8pm.
Dubb3d
Grafter

In my router I do have a DHCP renew and DHCP release buttons, but Ive never been able to click on them - they appear greyed out.
Anotherone
Champion

They won't help I'm afraid, what's your router?