cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PhyR

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

PhyR

Just upgraded the firmware on my router and now have an option set for PhyR.

This appears to be a new impulse protection system from Broadcom that doesn't have the latency issues of interleaving while still providing impulse protection (well so they say), the headline blurb is:
As much as a ten times higher impulse noise resilience
Significantly lower residual BER or packet-loss
An extended network service area (higher rate, longer reach, lower delay)
Simplified network provisioning (no per user "tuning")
Firmware upgrade to central office and customer premise equipment
Transparency to network and upper layer applications (significantly reduces the burden on networks that use higher layer retransmission schemes for improving network efficiency)
Question is does PN / BT support this and is worth switching on?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7 REPLIES 7
stallan
Grafter

Re: PhyR

My router also has this option (DG834GT)...  So I'd like to know the answer also...
MrC
Grafter

Having done a bit of research it looks like this isn't that new - it's been around since about 2007 but was only previously available from the CLI, not the web based admin pages. It looks like it only applies to ADSL2/VDSL2 lines and it applies to the receiving end, not the transmitting end (so enabling it on your modem enables PhyR on the downstream, not the upstream which needs the exchange end to support PhyR). The technique basically improves the performance of detecting and recovering from received data errors and (I think) replaces the current interleaving process. As such you'll see most benefit on a noisy line - those who can run their lines without interleaving and see no errors won't gain any benefit from PhyR.
More detail can be found on the Broadcom site.
knowdice
Rising Star

Reading that white paper it looks like Re-transmission technology at the physical layer - and needs to have hardware/firmware at the exchange end that understands the re-transmit request.
MrC
Grafter

On re-reading I think you're right. Looking at this Huawei document it looks like things may have moved on and other suppliers may be involved. I'm wondering if PhyR has been formalised as ITU G.998.4?
Stallan/adiewoo - it might be worth enabling it and see what happens. If it has a negative effect then just switch it off again Wink Alternatively raise a tentative ticket with PN and see what they say (assuming no PN staffers comment here of course).
stallan
Grafter

I enabled it yesterday and so far no difference....
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

For vdsl2 phyR must ticked for Downstream only but unticked on the Upstream. For ADSL2+ both must be ticked
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Locked as the reply is to an 8-year-old thread

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still