Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phorm

BoneMan
Grafter

Re: Phorm

Quote from: carrot63
However the  R Jones quote hits the nail squarely on the head. I work in the Perpetual Rhetoric industry, and that's precisely what it's all about - it's not what you do say, but the bits in between - and the art of getting people not to look for them.

Old Cynic's Rule #1: Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see  Cool
Old Cynic's Rule #2: Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you  Sad
Ray.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

UK.gov misses deadline on EU Phorm probe From The Register
Exclusive The government has failed to meet a deadline to respond to European Commission questions over the UK's handling of BT's allegedly illegal secret trials of Phorm's ISP-level adware and its planned rollout of the system to millions of subscribers, The Register has learned.
The Commission wrote to the UK government to quiz officials on why no action has been taken over the trials under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (PECR), which implement European Directives on wiretapping and communications data.

The Downing St website has changed and the new URL to the petition is: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ispphorm/
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi All
From The Register: Police quiz BT on secret Phorm trials - Date posted: 5th September 2008
City of London police questioned BT earlier this week as part of a probe into the covert wiretapping and profiling of the internet use of tens of thousands of BT customers during tests of Phorm's adware system.
City of London CID met BT representatives on Tuesday.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

From El Reg http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/22/bt_phorm_police_drop/
The matter will not be investigated by the City of London Police as it has been decided that no Criminal Offence has been committed. One of the main reasons for this decision is the lack of Criminal Intent on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests. It is also believed that there would have been a level of implied consent from BT's customers in relation to the tests, as the aim was to enhance their products.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

One of the main reasons for this decision is the lack of Criminal Intent on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests.

AFAIK Ignorance of the law is no defence.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On the part of BT or the police?
cp:quote
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

Both.  Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend

VileReynard
Hero

Phorm/BT are up to their old tricks: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7641754.stm
"If it goes according to plan it's our expectation that we will roll it out across the entire broadband customer base," said the spokesman.
No decision had yet been taken on whether Webwise would be "opt in" when the finished system is rolled out, he added.
The web browsing traffic of those that "opt out" will pass through the Webwise system will not be profiled or copied by it, he added.
BT was also working on a separate system that let people opt out at a network level so their traffic avoided Webwise more completely, he said.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It gets worse http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/03/phorm_tandc/
The terms and conditions state: "The BT WebWise service must be switched on and off separately for each user of your service and on each browser and on each machine that you and other users of your service use to access the internet.
"You are responsible for making sure that all other users of your service know about the BT WebWise service and how to switch it on or off."

VileReynard
Hero

Crumb of comfort in http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/webwise/help.html#when-will-you-trial-bt-webwise
When will you be trialling BT Webwise?
    BT is commencing trials of BT Webwise on 30th September 2008. We will be inviting a small proportion of BT's consumer broadband customers to take part in the trial. The trial involves only BT Retail consumer broadband customers; it does not involve customers of BT Business, BT Ireland or other BT-owned ISPs, such as PlusNet...

Bit sad when you have to reassure people that you won't be hacking their traffic...
Note that business customers are safe for the time being (?)

thejudge
Rising Star

Is anyone having the same problem I'm now having with the home site of the 'Dephormation' add-on for Firefox (https://www.dephormation.org.uk/index.php)?
I'm now being blocked from most of that site by the following message:
YOUR ACCESS TO THIS PAGE HAS BEEN BLOCKED
Access to this part of the web site has been blocked because your ISP is one known to be using Webwise.
To restore full access to this site, please move to a Phorm free Internet Service Provider.

The 'Phorm Cookie Test' page shows with a green image:

On the page I've linked to here, there's another message:
This site and the Firefox Add On will become unavailable to BT Internet subscribers from 30th September 2008, sorry.

I real problem is that I can't even use the 'Contact' page on that site to tell them about this because when I try to send the form I get the same message as above. I suspect that his 'blocked IP range' is including some PlusNet static IPs.
Any ideas?
thejudge
Rising Star

Following up to self, I now find a forum post here:
http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?4326.post

The eighth post down gives a list of blocked IP addresses which includes mine (and, I suspect, quite a few of yours).
The poster ('Gordon') justifies this by the arrogant/ignorant statement:
I have, for example, included PlusNet even though they've said it won't affect them. As far as I'm concerned, they are part of BT, so they get blocked.

Can we send someone round to his house and explain to him the difference between PlusNet (the company) being owned by BT and the behaviour of PlusNet (the ISP)?  Angry
VileReynard
Hero

Well, the ultimate owner of Plusnet's addresses is BT isn't it?
This is part of the problem with trying to cream off revenue - it has a number of disagreeable side effects.
You will have to download the Firefox anti-phorm from a secure (non-BT) computer.

thejudge
Rising Star

Well, the ultimate owner of Plusnet's addresses is BT isn't it?

PlusNet have consistently said that they are not involved with Phorm. I see no reason not to take that as definitive; after all, PlusNet customers tend to be a bit more savvy than the average, and the company knows that any involvement with that spyware would result in a mass exodus of customers (after said customers had ripped PlusNet an additional nether orifice, so to speak.  Smiley )
I can't help feeling that the guy behind Dephormation is sawing off the branch he's sitting on with this. After all, I already had it installed - if he now won't let me update it, then he's ultimately doing his/our cause considerable harm.