cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phorm

Loombucket
Grafter

Re: Flipping eck..... Phorm all youse base belong to us.

As far as I'm concerned, having this foisted on me would be the one thing that would guarantee a prompt migration to another provider, followed by my customers.
Just my 2p worth.
zubel
Community Veteran

El Reg have done a followup available here
More interesting reading.
B.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Interesting bit on the follow up:
"There's no word yet on when BT will draft the rest of its broadband customers into the new targeting system. Phorm chief executive Kent Ertegrul has claimed he is in talks with every UK ISP"
So have plus been contacted by Phorm, or is a loose definition of every, like unlimited usage. Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
godsell4
Rising Star

Yep, time to start blocking sysip.net is going to be wanted. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

With respect to whether customers would be happy with what Phorm are trying to do, and also knowing that the number of customers who are presently aware of this, is limited to those who read this forum, would it not be a good idea, for PlusNet to initiate a "service announcement" type email  (at the appropriate time, and well in advance of any action )  to ALL customers, firstly outlining the situation with Phorm, and then in the same email asking customers to complete a survey with the crucial questions
1.  Do you want Plusnet to make your personal information  and browsing history available to Phorm to allow them to target you with advertising.
2.  Do you want Plusnet to Secure your personal information and browsing history to ensure it is NEVER transferred to Phorm or similar companies
3. If the majority of 80% of replies are in favour of passing the information to Phorm would you want the option to OPT IN to the system to be Your Choice. and not PlusNet. 
In other words, the customer has the right to privacy, unless he/she decides otherwise (OPT IN)
Any other questions that forum posters feel might be added?

Ianwild
Grafter

Well, they haven't spoken to me, although I have had 3 or 4 companies of a similar vein approach me in the past.
Within my role I would have a major part to play in any such implementation, but that's not to say it's not been discussed with one or other of the directors at some point. If it has though, the message hasn't been passed down...
We would certainly discuss such a thing with all users (probably via the newsletter), but I really don't think we need to get into the details of what questions we would ask or message we would present, at a point in time when we are saying we have no plans to do anything!
Ian
shutter
Community Veteran

Agreed, It was just a way of trying to sound out  the feelings of forum members, and also to indicate that some form of vote/poll should be implemented "should" the discussions with Phorm, or any similar company, get that far....
chillypenguin
Grafter

Maybe I am missing something, but what is the benefit to the customer that means that they would choose to "opt-in" if a choice was given?
Would some of the £85,000,000 this is reported to be worth to BT in 2010 be paid back to the users, perhaps in subsidised internet access.
And how would the Phorm adverts be delivered?
This sort of comes under the net neutrality debate, where ISP are paid to carry content.
Chilly
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: Ian

Have clarified on the other thread. We'd certainly do an opt-in or opt-out with something like this if we ever did it.
Ian

Well, the Reg reports today that "Phorm chief executive Kent Ertegrul has claimed he is in talks with every UK ISP"
So, Ian, are they talking with you or are they telling porkies?
Oops, just read another post where Ian denies contact by Phorm. I think this goes a small way to prove how open and honest they are!
grey_gorilla
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter

I suggest you add your comments to the existing thread on the subject here
Hint... use the search function Wink

The other thread refers people back to here  Wink
chillypenguin
Grafter

Phorm chief executive Kent Ertegrul has claimed he is in talks with every UK ISP

`EVERY` is a very big word, I would read that as most major ISP. (No offence PlusNet Smiley )
zubel
Community Veteran

So, uh.. the top 3..
B.
shutter
Community Veteran

The advantage to the customer who wants to "opt in" to the Phorm system, is that they may well be searching the web for things/information, and by "opting in" they will have the added "pleasure" of being given information relating to their search patterns.... This information would include adverts for products and services linked to the search pattern.
In general terms, they will be "opting in" to receive "junk mail", which may be of interest to them
plum

Reading through the previous posts on this and the other related thread, I'm grateful for Ian Wild's reassurances that PlusNet has no plans (to his knowledge, at present) to introduce this or similar schemes.
Could I ask, though, how much access and ownership BT (as ultimate owner of PlusNet) has to PlusNet customer and usage data anyway?  Is it none at all or can they access the lot at their leisure and do with it as they will... or is it something in between?
glyndev
Grafter

Quote from: grimme
A 2002 EU regulation states that ISPs may allow third-parties to access consumers' data without the user's permission only in the event of criminal investigations or matters of national or public security. I don't know if that has been updated more recently though.

Since that ruling came out I think that you will find that wording is well hidden within the T&C of many ISP's (That you have to agree to when you sign up) says basically that.
"By agreeing to these terms and conditions you agree to our sharing data relating to your internet usage with our service partners".
You also find that they also say that.
"We can change and ammend these terms and conditions by giving you ?? days notice prior to changes coming into effect".
So even if you signed up prior to the ruling they have got you hook line and sinker. And be honest. How many people "REALLY" read the T&C in detail and absorb what it says when signing up for something.