Did you mean: 

Phone or BB fault

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Phone or BB fault

Hi Penfold,
Do you have a dial tone at the moment? Also do you still have noise on the line, dial 17070 then choose option 2 for the quiet line test.  If the line isn't quiet then it's a phone fault. I know you've done this, but just want to see where we are at the moment with that. Still seeing disconnections from yesterday.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Chris
As of 6:40 this morning, all was well.  uptime was over 20hours, with good noise margins.  Phone was also working.  I am at work at the min, but will ring SWMBO who is at home, to check the line, and will update you.  When are you seeing disconnections from, from my logs last disconnection was approx 13:30 yesterday.
Chris
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just checked at home.  We have a dial tone.  Wife did the quiet line test, and heard alot of static, but then it settled, and as soon as she did the quiet line test, we lost sync.
I feel an engineer vist is now due, to look into this further.  When I get home tonight I will again remove the faceplate, and put back into TEST socket, with a microfilter, and see how that goes.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

and as soon as she did the quiet line test, we lost sync.

Have you tried swapping your filters? I ask as that can be symptomatic of a filtering problem.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can see that you have lost sync as you said, so yeah next step is to connect into the test socket with an alternative micro-filter if you have one, connect your phone and router in. Then try making a call and see if you lose sync, if you are still losing sync then you've proved it's a line fault, raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net. If it's working OK then it would be something internal that would you would need to look at.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: penfold
@anotherone...
Thanks.  have no extensions, and only one corded phone..  Line comes in through the window, to a junction box, and from there to the NTE5. From the XTE faceplate, direct to router via a screened Rj11 cable. I had a horrid fault 3years , that took ages to deal with (symptoms are quite similar now). The line from the Pole to NTE5 is new from then.
Line is not noisy all the time on the quiet line test it seems to be intermittent 'static' for want of a better word....
Quote from: penfold
............................There is still noise, even in the test socket.  Since then, things have deteriorated further, 10mins ago lost PPP, and could not regain, even though i still had sync.  Had to reboot the router to regain a PPP session to PlusNet. I have put a note onto the ticket...........
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks anotherone  Wink
I will remove the XTE5 again, and use a filter I have managed to find, as I havnt used them in years....
If things still screwey, will log this on the current ticket.... Chris, do I need to raise another fault??, as one is still open, as a POTS fault. I personally think this should be dealt with as a POTS fault, due to the noise on the line
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We just need to clarify the current situation with the phone line(whether losing sync when in the test socket) then raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net to get a fault raised, this will run tests and determine whether it is a broadband or phone fault.
There is currently no fault open, there is a ticket #57652630, we have tried to help resolve via this ticket but would now need to raise a fault if your still having noise or losing sync.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion

If he can hear noise on the line it's a phone fault, no question. It doesn't matter two hoots what the broadband is doing.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well it gets odder.... Since the resync, when my wife did the quiet line test, its been stable for the last 6hr
Just got home, and logged into router, via phone. Syncs are normal as well, with normal looking snrs
Will try some line tests in an hr or so, and post back.
Anyone any ideas why this is only affecting upstream?.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Testing complete.
Just to recap, my setup is new style openreach NTE5, with a filtered faceplate. 1 corded phone directly connected, Router directly connected with high quality screened Rj11 cable. No extensions at all. All has been uber stable for the last 3 years, after a lengthy fault resolved eventually by a lift and shift.
Testing with setup as above
Pick up phone, no noise on dial tone, and no loss of sync.
Ring in to phone from mobile. on answer no loss of sync.
Quiet line test, all quiet, with no loss of sync.
Do quiet line test again, after 5mins, no noise at dial tone, but starting to dial, lots of crackling, and immediate loss of sync. Some crackling noted during quiet line test, sync regained with only a slight loss of upstream sync speed. Normal downstream syncs.
Disconnect internet using anotherones way, and then reboot router. Good upstream and downstream syncs.
Tried all the above again, same results.  Seems fine when dialing out after someones dialed in.  If dial out and no-one recently dialed in, loss of sync.
Testing with rats-tail filter in test socket.
Pick up phone, no noise on dial tone, and no loss of sync.
Ring in to phone from mobile. on answer no loss of sync, and quiet line.
Quiet line test, all quiet, with no loss of sync.
Do quiet line test again, after 5mins, no noise at dial tone, but starting to dial,  immediate loss of sync, but no significant cracking, although noticeable hissing.  Some crackling noted during quiet line test, sync regained with only a slight loss of upstream sync speed. Normal downstream syncs.
Disconnect internet using anotherones way, and then reboot router. Good upstream and downstream syncs.
Tried all the above again, same results.  Again, seems fine when dialing out after someones dialed in.  If dial out and no-one recently dialed in, loss of sync.
i must admit, the line noise is reduced in the test socket mainly to a very noticeable hiss, particularly in calls, on the dialing in phone.
Anyone any ideas.  Happy to leave in the test socket for a few days, to see what happens.  i have left some notepaper next to phone, and if we make or receive a call, will note down times, and hopefully see if we get a resync event or not.  If not, try same thing with faceplate back on, to prove maybe a faulty faceplate.  (Do these things actually go faulty??). I do wonder if dialing in is causing the voltage to clear a dodgy joint, that takes a few mins to go faulty again....
Current syncs below, just tried another quiet line test, no phone calls in for 10mins.  Line quiet with no resyncs Huh Huh

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, OK 2 things to try, First next time you are seeing drops, just kill the modem/router (disconnect/powerdown) as quick as you can and then plug phone direct into test socket (no filter). Check line out for as long as you reasonably can. If you still hear crackling noises, then report the fact and that you are straight into the test socket with the phone. Try and get a line test whilst the noise is present.
The 2nd thing to try if you can't reproduce noise during your test period with the phone, try another modem/router. It is possible it could be playing up and generating the noise, hence the reason for the previous checks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Penfold,
It is a strange one, I've ran some further tests on your line and still showing no detected fault, with it being intermittent it would be good if when you have the noise on the line to call in and then we can test your line. Ideally with the phone plugged direct into the test socket.
I'd still suggest raising the fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can get this looked into and resolve it as soon as possible.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK, will raise a fault to hopefully get this looked into.  Will stay connected to the TEST socket.  Sync stable since your linetest at around 9ish this morning. No calls out, but a couple of inbound, no sync drops.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Hmm, OK 2 things to try, First next time you are seeing drops, just kill the modem/router (disconnect/powerdown) as quick as you can and then plug phone direct into test socket (no filter). Check line out for as long as you reasonably can. If you still hear crackling noises, then report the fact and that you are straight into the test socket with the phone. Try and get a line test whilst the noise is present.

OK, managed to do this this evening, after a period of stability, noticed the router had a resync event at 13:00, with a slightly lower upstream.  Checked the line, absolutely no noise at all, and could not get the line to drop for the life of me....  Rebooted the router, after disconnecting the ppp session.  Syncs back to normal, but after about 10mins, noticed the router had dropped sync. It regained sync, then dropped again.  I pulled out the filter, and connected the phone to test socket, and lo and behold there was quite a bit of noise. Tried ringing CSC, but before any answer noise went. Checked line 5mins ago, still a little noisy, and crackly. Replaced filter, and let router sync up again, Downstreams fine, upstream at 564 with a margin of 10dB.  I am going to raise a fault now, and see where that takes me.
Cheers