cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone line has been replaced.

Stu17

Phone line has been replaced.

Hello,

Long time Plusnet user. Had problems with my old phone line being very unstable going back years but then got progressively worse until it was virtually unusable and BT Openreach came this week and replaced the whole lot (drop wire from Pole to House and Master socket, it's all new stuff and no part of the old remains - result!) anyway,  i would now like any measures (Banding? Interleaving? Upload speedcap?) employed by Plusnet or BT to try and stabilise the old line removing or reversing to make maximum use of and gain maximum speeds from the new line. I think when Plusnet introduced high speed ADSL+2?  or what ever it was some years back there (the one that introduced additional upload speed to 1mb) there was a Line Training? period where over several days days the line would disconnect a few times and try to sync at the best possible speed (back then, and for a while actually, we got if i recall 10-12mb) where as now it's 7mb (that's with a new cable! not the 30 year old one we had previously!) is possible to run this again on account of everything being replaced as i don't really want to be stuck with limit throughput set by a line we no longer have, especially knowing that speeds have been greater in the past.

Thanks.

Edit. Just to add the router has been switched on an off a few times since Wednesday as i was retouching up the decorating and moving things back into place and not due to instability in the connection.

3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Phone line has been replaced.

Keep Router on permanently as regularly disconnecting leads Openreach's DLM system to indicate you have an unstable line. They will drop speed until it is seen as stable.
Stu17

Thanks for your Reply Gel. The router will be kept plugged in a switched on. Do you think the Openreach DLM will correct it's self over time then? (new line was installed on Wednesday) 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29