cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer to peer on option 2 over option 1

daffers

Peer to peer on option 2 over option 1

Hi all
I think this is probably more a question for the community rather than the support guys but would appreciate any input.
I'm currently on option 1 as i thought i would only get 1/2 a meg connection where i live but actually get 2.2. I was going to move to demon internet who i used at my old house who where really good so that i could take advantage of peer to peer again. However since i'm starting to like some of the plus net feature i thought i would ask what kind of step up i can expect with option 2 over option 1 on torrents for example.
Or, if i really want to download lots am i going to see a massive difference if i where to go to broadband pro?
A question for the tech guys here would be why is option 4 so much more expensive than broadband pro?
Cheers
4 REPLIES 4
suesykes
Grafter

Re: Peer to peer on option 2 over option 1

I use torrents all the time.  No problem unless you go over your limit.  Set it to run 12-8am and its free.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: daffers
I was going to move to demon internet who i used at my old house who where really good so that i could take advantage of peer to peer again.

<rant>
DO NOT, under any circumstances return to Demon. I agree that they were excellent up to a few years ago - but I was so aggrieved with their rubbish Indian call centre that I moved to PlusNet 3 months ago.
Demon will charge you £22-99 (Home Office - support at 0845 rates) or £17-99 (Home - support 10p/minute). They will also want a 12 month contract. Support costs are important as you will be wasting a lot of time/money talking to a demon droids.

I was on Home Office - the move to PlusNet (Option 3) gives me an increased download rate at all times on all traffic (except maybe lunchtime). I also save an incidental £3/month.
</rant>
The higher the option number you choose, the greater the monthly download (8am - midnight), remainder doesn't count.
Option 1 -  1GB
Option 2 -  8GB
Option 3 - 20GB
Option 4 - 40GB
Different Options get given different priorities for different kinds of traffic (P2P always seems to come last) - see
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/?resindex=tab_broadband
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?link_bbyw_view1=speeds
PS If you line should degrade slightly, you will just have to put up with it - PlusNet can shift you onto a fixed speed broadband and Demon can't or won't.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

daffers

Interesting that you have had a negative experience with Demon customer service as any time i have used them i have found them very good.
The more i think about it, the more i am tempted to stick with Plus net and just see how it goes. Given that the contract length is 1 month then i'm hardly tied down.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: daffers
Interesting that you have had a negative experience with Demon customer service as any time i have used them i have found them very good.

I was with Demon about for about 8 years Cry
Demon recently offered a price reduction of £2/month to all customers - on condition that customers take out on an annual  contract.
However, they do have public usenet groups, so I would suggest that you monitor demon.service to get a more unbiased point of view.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."