cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peer to Peer speeds

AndyR
Grafter

Peer to Peer speeds

Has anyone alse noticed a difference in speeds when going from off peak to peak.
I am on Plus Net Premier option 1. Off peak to 1600 then peak with the ellacoyas placing more restrictions after 1600...or so I thought.
The download was going at 35kb or so up to 1600 then ROSE quite dramatically at 1600 to about 150kb. I am not complaining just thought it should be the other way round.
I left the PC on overnight and the download was pulsing - average 60kb but spiking every 15 minutes to over 200kb for a couple of minutes.
Totally wierd.  Huh
It could be the tracker but the graph in uTorrent shows a flat line until the spikes.
regards
Andy
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Peer to Peer speeds

Hi there,
I know Dave's been tweaking things due to the fact that we've had spare capacity during peak hours. Part of this work may well have been to relax the P2P restrictions for Premier customers. I think there was a night last week where these were lifted almost entirely. Hopefully Dave will be along before long with an explanation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Glad to hear that my changes are working Smiley
There's two main factors at play here. The first is a more general thing in that at 4pm there's a natural decrease in people using P2P and Usenet. On a normal afternoon P2P speeds will be set at 320kbps between 3pm and 4pm and between 4pm and 5pm will decrease to 192kbps. Most days we'll actually increase that 4 - 5pm rate limit to perhaps 320kbps or 512kbps but even though the speed increases the overall volume of P2P normally decreases because there are a lot less people using it or they've set their own rate limit.
The second factor is the summer. Since it stopped raining we've seen a decrease in the overall traffic in an evening, particularly the amount of gold and titanium traffic. Midday to 4pm is about the same as it was before (businesses are still and the kids home from school are taking up any slack from those that are on holiday) but after 4pm there's spare capacity on the network and as such the P2P and Usenet rate limits have been relaxed so that the spare capacity is used up.
Most nights this week the Premier P2P rate limits have been set between 2Mbps and 6Mbps depending on the hour and removed at certain points. Saturday nights are usually the quietest of the week and we'll set the rate limits higher than normal anyway, I expect tonight will probably be quieter than a normal Saturday so there should be plenty of spare capacity for P2P and Usenet.
The network prioritisation is still in effect which may explain why there's a bit of spikyness, the rate limits are there to give a fair spread of the available bandwidth to everyone using P2P at that time, there may still be fluctuations from people using higher priority traffic at the same time.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
chrisnoakes

LOL
Try going on BT Broadband mate!
I was previously on them and my daily download rate was 4kbps on a 8mb connection. SHOCKING!
now on plusnet and i get at least 100kbps through the day so i am not complaining at all.
Through the night 700kbps+ w00t! Smiley
so far so good with plusnet in my opinion! Smiley Smiley