Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peek time disconnect

EvilThre3
Dabbler

Peek time disconnect

Hi, Angry
We have been with PlusNet since Vodafone moved us to you, been problem after problem!!!! You lot gave us a plusnet router saying it will fix all are DNS issues and other connection issues, just lies.
Everyday at perk times  (5pm-9pm) are internet will drop connection a few times. Kinda annoying when you are in game….
So can anything be done to fix this?
24 REPLIES 24
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peek time disconnect

Hi
I assume you're on an ADSL connection? Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
Can you post your router stats (accessed from the router admin page)? Also, can you run a BT Speed Test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and click Further Diagnostics, then post the results?
EvilThre3
Dabbler

Hi, I have ran BT Speed Test, Nothing was found. http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/204/btspeed.png .
Yep I am on a ADSL connection. Not sure if it on a extension ?  Main socket - cable to next room - surge protector/power stip- then a ADSL filter to modem and phone.
Is this right thing for router stats ?
System Information	
Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: CPXXXXXXXXXXXX
Software Release: 8.4.4.J
Software Variant: BV
Boot Loader Version: 1.0.5
Product Code: 3701603B
Board Name: DANT-T
AndyH
Grafter

Master socket should look like this (if you take the front plate off):

Is the router connected to the BT wall socket or to the surge connector (I know some protectors have telephone line filters too, but I think this can cause problems with ADSL)?
The router stats might be here:
EvilThre3
Dabbler

This it ? I will check the Master Socket tomorrow.
The router and the phone  is connected to the surge.  Here is a photo if it helps, Left is the cable to the Master Socket. .  http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5470/img20130324201528.jpg
AndyH
Grafter

Am pretty sure connecting the microfilter/RJ11 ADSL cable to the surge protector is causing you problems - there really isn't a reason to connect it there and I bet you're speeds increase if you connect your microfilter directly to the master socket.
Edit - It's not the router stats I was looking for, you're looking for something called Attenuation and Noise Margin - but first thing is to sort out that surge protector! Smiley
EvilThre3
Dabbler

Ill have a play around with it tomorrow , I am all ready at my max speed, It set to 9MB no clue how I am getting 9.77!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Use thie link to display the routerstats http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0. They are within DSL Connection Details, not under the Internet heading.
David
EvilThre3
Dabbler

Thanks, here we go
AndyH
Grafter

You're getting a lot of errors which might be caused by the power surge filter.
If you plug the microfilter directly into the BT wall socket and check those stats again.
I also think you should be able to sync quicker than you are currently synced.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi EvilThre3,
Have you managed to connect to your master socket yet?
Let us know when you have and we'll have a check over your line again.
EvilThre3
Dabbler

I had a play about with it. Turns out I do not have a 'real master socket'   ???.

The Internet / Phone wire go into the surge then the  ADSL filter is connected to the surge output.
I will have to find a cable to make the BT connect to a RJ11 or to another BT Cable.
Here is a photo what I thought was the master but it just a extension.

No clue what my dad did to all of this ...  Grin
AndyH
Grafter

Wow...that looks like some serious DIY wiring in the first pic!
I believe that second pic is the master socket, but someone who knows a little more about them to check it.
EvilThre3
Dabbler

I think you are correct ,  A cable go into the next room then into the junction box from the photo. I Think I just rewire it all at the weekend, So I got a clue whats going on.  My dad the only one who got a clue whats going on and he away at sea !
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh dear! The photos in reply #11.
Let me comment on the 2nd photo first. The Left hand socket is certainly a Master type and the wiring that is going to it looks to be the correct standard CW1308 (as used by BT) but it would be wise to follow that back and see what it connects to, there ought to be a connection box somewhere where it's connected to external cable. (Photos always help). If there any other cables connected as well, where they go will be important.
Does the front of that socket have any BT markings or logos on it at all?
Now, the bits that are the real problems. First the lead plugged into the master which is what you presume appears on the RHS of the first photo, this looks to be flat in construction and so won't be twisted pair and will pick up interference, as it also appears is the rest of the leads that are connected at the unconventional connector block.
But leaving that aside for one moment, if the lead that you have marked as phone goes direct to a phone with no filter, then your connection will likely drop every time that phone is used. The other lead that goes to the surge protector and then the output of that has a filter plugged in - is it only the modem/router connected to the filter?
What type of phone(s) do you use - is it corded or cordless?
Some more pictures that show exactly what is connected to what, rather than just a bit of one end would be helpful.
Are there any other phone sockets in the house at all?
If you are able to reply with some more photos and extra information, I'll try and respond with some suggestions tomorrow night.