Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Latency Spikes

MsDizzie
Grafter

Peak Time Latency Spikes

Quote from: Chris
Anyone still experiencing issues it would be really helpful if you could start your own threads in Broadband and Routers now, this one has got a bit unwieldy and whilst it contains a lot of useful information it'll be easier for us to look at the remaining few problems separately (while keeping this thread in mind of course).

As per the instructions above, created new topic here.
I stumbled on this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/traceroute.html
Wouldn't this information be more helpful to point to a problem node, along with other information?  Smiley
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak Time Latency Spikes

I think the problem is the first hop in a traceroute are PN's gateways and they don't appear to be the issue (the previous problem seems to have been fixed).
It's the routing of a connection through BT's network that we can't see and know if that is causing or contributing to the peak time slow downs still experienced by some people.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for starting your own thread, however what is the issue you're now seeing?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MsDizzie
Grafter

From using pingtest.net I consistently get a result saying my line quality is now Quality B with ping > 60ms
This has been happening all this week, not just during peak time. I've tried the gateway hop but I can't seem to improve it.

I used to have a pretty good response from both speedtest.net and pingtest.net sites.
Although now speedtest.net is sluggish to download, it reports back that latency is around the 35-40ms mark
Confusing huh?  Crazy
And my monitor looks pretty good to me:

Am I actually looking at this a bit too deep for my own good?  Shocked
AndyH
Grafter

Are you connected wired/wireless?
Which exchange are you on? Apart from this week, have you had any speed/ping issues before then?
MsDizzie
Grafter

Hello AndyH
I do all my testing wired and I'm currently on ptw-ag03
I noticed it this week.
I've been following the "ping latency" problem since the beginning of the year, so I've been keeping an eye my stats for a while
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've checked over your line and can find no issues, your line currently appears to be performing as it should.
How have things been?
MsDizzie
Grafter

Thanks for responding chrispurvey, I'm currently working away from home so I can't up date you on my ping status. I've been monitoring the line and I would agree that the line speeds are fine! I did notice last week and weekend that BT Speedtest does report latency (on the first screen ) as anywhere between 45-65ms where as before it was around the 30-35ms mark.
If there is congestion at my cabinet/exchange how would I find this information out?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Don't think there's any public facing ways but I've just had a look for you and it's green as far as 21CN capacity goes. As for the increase in ping times, it looks like interleaving's been enabled for a while so unless there are now more errors on the line than previously I can't think of any other reasons unless the server being used for the ping tests has changed.
Either way unless it's interfering with your use of the service it's not anything to worry about.
MsDizzie
Grafter

Interesting couple of ping graphs especially Ping25-Mar.jpg, the house was empty after 8am!
So what would have caused the regular peaks, and the huge packet loss just after mid-day, and the biggest peak at 10pm?
I would have thought it should have resembled Ping26-Mar.jpg although that is showing minor regular blips.
(not even a wired PC being used, or phones or laptops! Just the router)