cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic! 10,000 assorted spam emails just tried to download to my account

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Panic! 10,000 assorted spam emails just tried to download to my account

Unless, for some reason the PN mail server reassigned UIDLs to the messages, in which case Thunderbird wouldn't recognise them any more?
I'm assuming that both machines were already configured to read from the POP mailserver and have been doing so for some period of time.
B.
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
Marking a message as read in one location will (almost) immediately mark it as read in another location.

Barry, Thanks for taking the time to write the detailed summary of IMAP which is very helpful. When, in the above quote, you say "mark it as read" do you mean the user marking it as read - as opposed to the computer simply recording that you have opened the message? I would want to be able to look at messages but have them remain on the server.
I think my approach to this problem now will be as follows. I still do not know the reason why this happened in the first place and assume it is something at the PN end rather than here on two separate computers.
But life goes on and I need to get sorted. And I need to know if this is a one-off or a permanent problem. Before considering IMAP further I will use my present POP3 account and set it (temporarily) to "leave messages on server for at most one day".
Then I will download by POP3 and hopefully this will then delete all my messages older than one day on the PN POP server (rather than downloading them). After that, I will set it to 14 days and see how it goes.
In the meantime I will also think about using IMAP instead.
Thank you everyone for your help this morning. It is so important to be able to "talk it through" and get help from experienced people.
Thanks!  Smiley
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
I'm assuming that both machines were already configured to read from the POP mailserver and have been doing so for some period of time.

That's correct, Barry.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you confirm that you had previously downloaded all 10,000 messages on BOTH machines. If not each PC can only know about the messages it has previously downloaded itself. If you set up the second PC this morning it has no knowledge of the messages downloaded by the first machine. The UIDLs are stored on the PC itself - there is nothing about this stored on the Plusnet server and more significantly nothing in the POP3 protocol that can provides a mechanism by which this information could be stored on the PN server.
As Barry has pointed out, that is what IMAP is for and it would work with 1, 2 or 22 PCs. In IMAP which email have been read is stored on the IMAP (i.e. PN) server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I used to use a similar setup, but with 3 different clients accessing a mailbox with POP3 (not with PlusNet).  I occasionally got this problem.  It seemed to only occur when I was downloading from the mailbox on 2 clients similtaniously, though it wasn't everytime.  I always put it down to me doing something that POP3 wasn't designed to do.  I eventually copied all (around 8000) messages to the server and now use IMAP.  I'd have done it a lot earlier if I could have been bothered!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you want to get rid of all messages older than one day from the servers, IMAP (or webmail) would be a far more efficient way to do it as it means the body of the emails does not have to be downloaded (that's a big difference on any html images with embedded images or messages with attachments).
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Can you confirm that you had previously downloaded all 10,000 messages on BOTH machines.

I had both machines when I started the PN account and they have been used since then, so I think it would be right to say all messages have been downloaded on both. Good point though!
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bookman
When, in the above quote, you say "mark it as read" do you mean the user marking it as read - as opposed to the computer simply recording that you have opened the message?

Grey area.  However...
Your client software (Thunderbird in your case) can be used to mark messages as 'Read'.  The IMAP server responds to this by storing that information server-side.
Of course, viewing an email in the preview pane of Thunderbird (and Outlook) generally marks the mail as being 'read'.
In this context, the result of using the Thunderbird menu option of (right click message) -> Mark -> As Read/Unread is stored *server side* and the status of each message is then available to all other clients.
So, computer #1 marks a message as Read, and on computer #2 it will not be in bold any more.
HTH
B.
itsme
Grafter

Another advantage with imap is that you can generate folders on the server so that you can organise your emails better. These folders will also can be displayed and read within your email retrieving client.
Only downside on this is that I believe the current PN webmail does not support imap folders, but could be wrong.
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you want to get rid of all messages older than one day from the servers, IMAP (or webmail) would be a far more efficient way to do it...

In my Thunderbird account settings I cannot see any option to set it to delete messages on the server older than X days. (There is such an option in POP3 account settings, below the "leave messages on server" option.) Am I missing something?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I think it does.  The spam folder is just an imap folder.  I sometime use squirrel mail (what PlusNet use for webmail) with another mail provider, and can access all my imap folders with it.  Very rarely use PlusNets implementation of webmail though, so I could be wrong as well!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Only downside on this is that I believe the current PN webmail does not support imap folders, but could be wrong.

The current PN implementation of Squirrelmail *ONLY* works with IMAP.  It doesn't support a POP3 account.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: itsme

I've created folders on one of my accounts from webmail and from Thunderbird and both can see and use the folders the other created.
itsme
Grafter

My mistake I checked my main PN email account and did not see all the folders, I forgot that I smtp redirect to my server Embarrassed
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bookman
In my Thunderbird account settings I cannot see any option to set it to delete messages on the server older than X days.

This is done on a per-folder basis on an IMAP account.
Right click on a folder (eg Inbox) and select Properties.
Go to "Retention Policy"
Set your per-folder retention policy there! Smiley
You can also go to the 'Offline' tab, and enable the folder for offline (ie, no Internet connection available) usage.
B.