cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panasonic Viera Cast 802.11n working with Thomson 585v7 802.11b/g

NorthRiding
Grafter

Panasonic Viera Cast 802.11n working with Thomson 585v7 802.11b/g

Have just got a Panasonic Viera TX-L32D25B LCD/LED HD 1080p TV with Viera Cast. In order for Viera Cast to work, the TV has to have either a wired ethernet connection to the internet (which I can't use because of location of TV/Modem )  or a wireless connection via a USB WiFi adaptor via my home router  which uses 2.4 GHz 802.11n draft specification adapter.
I see that my Thomson TG585 v7 as supplied by Plusnet shows that it is 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g ie NOT Wireless N.802.11n
I have 2 questions:-
1. Can I assume that the Wireless 802.11n  type adaptor (which fits in the USB socket of the TV) will not work to the  802.11b/g version in my Thomson 587v7 router/modem?
2. What would be the best (reasonably priced and probably Netgear) Router/Modem to buy to replace the PN supplied 587v7 and will that give me any problems working with Plusnet (Value) or would it be simple to setup using the PN supplied info?
Note that I will probably be using the Netgear WNDA3100 (which must be v2 version to work in the Viera TV) as this appears to be compatible with the Panasonic system (Panasonic do not have any Panasonic adaptors in stock).
I would be grateful for some advice before I purchase the adaptor and a new router/modem. I live in an old house with thick walls and I see from some of the router "posts" in the forum that some router/modems are "more powerful" / i.e. they work better in these sorts of situation.
9 REPLIES 9
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Panasonic Viera Cast 802.11n working with Thomson 585v7 802.11b/g

It should work - albeit at the slower rate of 802.11g (54 Mbps) -n devices should all be backward compatible with previous iterations of the standard ,g & b. Suggest you try before rushing out to spend money on n router.
magnetism2772
Grafter

In basic terms, 802.11n is faster than 802.11g
160Mbits/sec compared to 56 Mbits/sec
The N adapter can connect to the G router...but the G adapter can not connect to the N router...
the wireless g card will work with the wireless n router.
the drawback of this however is that you will not be fully utilizing all that wireless n has to offer. Such as higher through put speeds as well as longer range.
802.11n can operate on either the 5 GHz frequency at full speed or on the 2.4 GHz frequency in "mixed mode" which will support systems only capable of using 802.11b or 802.11g, but it will slow the entire network down to the maximum speed of the earliest standard connected.
itsme
Grafter

Not sure why Panasonic have only selected n type devices to support http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/compatibility/usb/option1.html probably just future proofing.
As @davidj60 has stated n devices will at least be g compatible.
magnetism2772
Grafter

like davidj has said try it

at 300 feet  radio g devices reduce from 56Mbps to around 1M bits every second
while  n devices would be operating around 70M bits every second
itsme
Grafter

There is another option if you have a spare WiFi access router/adaptor.
A few weeks ago I brought a Blu-Ray player and if only had a ethernet port. As I had a spare WiFi router  I first thought about setting up a WDS system. This has the advantage of extending the WiFi range as both AP (access points) can be used the disadvantage is speed is reduced to the slave AP. So in the end  I did a wireless bridge. Where the second Wifi router connect to the primary WiFi router, speed is not affected but the second router cannot be used as an access point
NorthRiding
Grafter

Thanks very much all of you for those very comprehensive replies.
I shall get the Netgear Wifi adaptor and give it a try but of course I now understand that I will not get the speed of the n network but the speed of my PN b/g network so I will have to see how that goes when I get the adaptor.
I also have another (old) router  and I did think about setting up a bridge connection and then putting an ethernet connection between the second router and the tv but will have to get the (enormous !!) Panasonic manual out again and read up how to set up the second router for an ethernet connection. (ah, I have just checked and it is a Thomson SpeedTouch 585v6 - guess that will be ok for setting up a bridge connection to my existing wireless network once I find out how to set it up?)
If I connect the second router as a bridge, how can I access the router set-up, I can't imagine that I can do this on the TV (maybe I should read the manuals again first - I will do that now).
Thanks very much for explaining the 820.11n and b/g difference. I remember reading that to stream HD I will need a good/fast connection but I will read the manuals and then come back and let you know how I get on. In the meantime, I will place an order online for the Netgear WiFi adaptor. When I looked yesterday the best 3 prices were German or Belgian suppliers on Amazon and I am wary of long delivery times and suitability for UK. I am keen to get things set up to see what this Viera Cast system is like?
Thanks again for taking the time to explain things to me. I will report back in due course..............
NorthRiding
Grafter

Good News.
I got my Netgear WNDA3100v2 yesterday for use with my Panasonic TX-L32D25B LED LCD TV. Plugged it in, found my Plusnet supplied Thomson 585v6 router (and other stations) immediately, keyed in the WPA2 code and after updating the TV software and having to re-set the code etc after turning the TV off and then on again --Bingo - Viera Cast works great. I realise that not having a N type router means slower speeds however the movies and other videos on Viera Cast worked fine with perfect picture and streaming. (I do not have Freesat/satellite dish being in a Grade 2 listed building but I am working on that) . Freeview is fine so far but it would be nice to have BBC iPlayer available. Plugged my adaptor into the side USB socket (which is what the brochure says) and it works fine. Downloaded Twonkymedia and my photos and music (including mp3) play perfectly. No more sitting round a laptop looking at holiday snaps. Couldn't get any of my videos to play - only got a few but all came up with Not Compatible or something like that. Also tried to read a downloaded BBC Iplayer program file - it found it ok but wouldn't play it again saying Not compatible or Function not available or something like that. Can't imagine I will use many of the Viera Cast websites although it is very useful if I get bored and want to watch the German news..........Youtube and Twitter and Skype (no camera!!) all work fine and there is a Eurosport video section which I quite enjoyed. All worked fine and ran very smoothly at G type speeds.
No problems or difficulties at all with ordering the Netgear WNDA3100v2. Ordered mine from Broadbandbuyer despite some trepidation that the price Sub Total £25.50 Delivery £2.99 VAT £4.99=Grand Total £33.48 was not for a Version 2. I phoned Broadbandbuyer (Phone Marc) and he assured me that it was a V2 so I placed the order which arrived in 2 days. Very happy with the excellent service. The box had a Netgear sticker saying "Connects to Viera TV's by Panasonic" and comes with extension USB lead, cradle with Velcro fasteners so that the adaptor can be moved away from the TV (mine works fine in the side USB socket) to the upstairs router) - also included CD with software for installing the adaptor on a PC (which is quite a cheap way of getting N type speeds should I upgrade to a N type router in the future).
This price is a lot different from the Panasonic WiFi DONGLE ADAPTOR DY-WL10E-K £79.95  which seems to be out of stock at all the Retailers I checked in my area (gave up after checking 9 retailers). I had previous to this complained to Panasonic that their adaptor was out of stock and they came back and said check our retailers. I then searched various threads in this forum before finding that I was not the first to be trying to find an alternative. Thanks to all the previous posters for their help and I am very happy that it is all working fine.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had to buy a Samsung Wifi adaptor for my Samsung LED TV as a standard USB Wifi adaptor won't work.....allegedly.....because there is no way to load drivers onto the TV.
I did do a Google search at the time but I will do another now.....and if I find a cheaper alternative Angry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
gofaster
Rising Star

A cheaper alternative?
Assuming you aren't regularly moving your Samsung TV around, why does it need to be wireless?
I used a pair of 200Mb Homeplug units, you can normally pick up the ones that BT give away quite cheaply from eBay