cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panasonic DMR-PWT420 does not connect to internet via router TG582n and BT cable

geekedout

Panasonic DMR-PWT420 does not connect to internet via router TG582n and BT cable

Panasonic DVD recorder / player DMR-PWT420 (purchased Oct 2012) does not recognise BT Openreach cable modem when connected by ethernet cable via Plusnet Technicolor router TG582n. Recorder 'Easy Network Setting' procedure for wired connection returns 'pass' for connection check, 'pass' for 'Home network function', but 'no connection to gateway' for 'Internet Connection Test'. I have downloaded and installed the latest recorder system firmware (Ver 1.14 - 22 Apr 2013) which addresses VIERA Connect issues, but that has had no effect. What router configuration setting must be made for the internet connection to work please?
27 REPLIES 27
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Panasonic DMR-PWT420 does not connect to internet via router TG582n and BT cable

No changes should really be necessary.  What network settings are reported by the unit?  IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS?
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Panasonic DMR-PWT420 does not connect to internet via router TG582n and BT cable

As above - the Panasonic should ask for an IP address, gateway and DNS server and the Router should just hand them over.
You might want to try disabling the firewall on the router temporarily and see if that has any effect.
oliverb
Grafter

Does it have an option to set up its IP and gateway (and DNS) manually? It could be worth trying.
geekedout

Hi, Thanks for your suggestions.  So far no go! I have tried Panasonic tech support and their advice was - factory reset machine and set up from scratch. If that doesn't work it's the fault of the router blocking the connection, therefore contact them. I have tried configuring internet connection with desktop computer Bitdefender firewall off, tried to turn off TG582n firewall but that option is not available. The set up values in the TG582n for the Panasonic recorder/player are:
Unknown-08-9e-01-34-22-a5
Information
Type: Set Top Box (I named it so as to identify it)
Connected To: ethport3 (Ethernet)
Addressing
Physical Address: 08:9e:01:34:22:a5
IP Address Assignment: Static
IP Address: 192.168.1.65
Everything else is recognised and works on the home network - Desktop, laptop and laser printer using ethernet, tablets and laptop using WiFi. (there is a Cisco SG100D Unmanaged Switch between the TG582n router and the ethernet connected devices but the Panasonic connection has been tested with and without the switch with no change).
Is the answer to get a better router? and if so which?
Thanks in anticipation!
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
What network settings are reported by the unit?  IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS?

To avoid any ambiguity:
What network settings are reported by the Pansonic DMR-PWT420?  IP address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Yes, sounds like it isn't getting the gateway and/or DNS settings correctly via DHCP
Does it have an option to set up its IP and gateway (and DNS) manually? It could be worth trying.
According to the manual, yes page 80. Assuming your PN router is set to defaults then try setting the Panasonic  IP address to 192.168.1.63, subnet to 255.255.255.0,  gateway to 192.168.1.254 and DNS to the OpenDns ones  208.67.222.222 &  208.67.220.220

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

Sorry to sound like a stuck record, but rather than speculating what it 'might' be, why not wait for the OP to answer the question I've asked twice and work from the facts? Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Have you tried setting your Panasonic to Dynamic on the IP settings and rebooting it ?
It could be that you have set it a Static IP but not assigned the DNS servers (8.8.8.8 will work) and the Gateway (the IP address of the router). Setting it to Dynamic will allow the router to provide all this information for the Panasonic.
geekedout

Hi All, Thanks for your time and effort. First apologies to pwatson for not returning the Panasonic settings. For the record they were: IP Address - 169.254.123.172, Subnet - 255.255.0.0, Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS held no values. I assume that these values were set automatically when I ran the automatic 'Easy Network Setting'. Where they came from I know not.
So, I entered the values suggested by MisterW, to wit: 'According to the manual, yes page 80 ("I hadn't found page 80!"). Assuming your PN router is set to defaults then try setting the Panasonic  IP address to 192.168.1.63, subnet to 255.255.255.0,  gateway to 192.168.1.254 and DNS to the OpenDns ones  208.67.222.222 &  208.67.220.220'. I then ran the 'Connection Test' on that configuration screen and bingo! the result was 'Pass'. So, I reran the 'Easy Network Setting' routine and with those values entered it passed the 'Connection to Gateway' test. From there I tried the Panasonic VIERA internet service and there it Is! Selected BBC iPlayer and experienced much mental relief and pleasure. It all worked. The Panasonic internet service is limited but having upgraded from Plusnet ADSL to cable, access to BBC iPlayer on the main TV screen is the main point of the exercise. For the record, I selected Netflix just to test, and while it 'worked' and came up with its months trial signing on screen, it was completely unstable with the screen flashing and flickering. So the solution may be partial but the part I want works.
Thanks again for the benefit of your collective expertise, It's much appreciated.
pwatson
Rising Star

Glad you hit the networking sorted. The IP address that the unit showed confirms that, for whatever reason, the DHCP request to the router failed.
loudob

I had the same problem with the DMR-PWT635 and that's fixed mine too! phew!
Horsall

Hello All
              I to was having trouble getting my Panasonic HDD recorder to work with the  TG582n
My model is Panasonic DMR-HW220
It would not connect automatically and I was going around in circles setting IP,s etc (but it would work with my old BT 2 router)
The reason for the post was to thank MisterW as I have used the settings he suggested and it worked perfectly.
So Thank,s again MisterW Grin
dwh33
Dabbler

Hi new user with same problems on my sa-btt370 home cinema
Another forum seemed to think that the problem was due to using a new router, and the panny still using the old router details.
Their solutions was a powercycle of the panny, which worked for several people.
Sadly not for me though, so i will now attempt the forum's solution.
Fingers crossed x
EDIT-It worked...many thanks to MisterW
Kemblesteve

One more happy customer to thank MisterW.
A Panasonic Blue ray player and Technicolor router which would not talk, and was pulling my hair out.
How we were expected to work out this combination of IP codes I just do not know, but it now works - thanks a million.
Steve  Smiley