Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully Slow Broadband

Mudweiser
Hooked

Painfully Slow Broadband

Hello,

We changed our broadband to Plusnet in March from Sky - ironically the first day I started working from home. 

Since then it's been a regrettable decision. It's painfully slow and generally not fit for purpose. It's making working from home a nightmare and I'm having to reset the router at least once a day. All I'm doing online is using TeamViewer to operate my work PC.

If I use Spotify on WiFi I notice a lag on my TeamViewer - this is 2020, not 2006! 

If I do a speed test then it says I'm getting around 5mb which is at the top end of what I should expect, so what am I complaining about? 

Fact is we have never had any problems beforehand with Sky. I can't remember needing to reset the router once in our two years with them, let alone every day. 

I tried streaming the football last night on Sky Go and I couldn't watch it. Honestly, it was so blurry. Netflix started buffering last night too. 

I understand we're at the top end of speed expectations but it's not acceptable what we're getting. It's not fit for purpose and we really regret changing suppliers.

Is there anything we can do to get a better performance?

We've examined switching to fibre but it's three times as much and we shouldn't have to suddenly make such a financial jump.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Painfully Slow Broadband

@Mudweiser wrote:

We've examined switching to fibre but it's three times as much and we shouldn't have to suddenly make such a financial jump.

Really? I would expect the difference beteen phone line + ADSL and Phone line + Fibre to be no more than £5 per month.

Were you previously using the Sky ADSL LLU service? Is your problem wireless or over an Ethernet connection?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mudweiser
Hooked

Yep - our current bill would almost treble if we took fibre.

I'm not exactly sure about the Sky we had but it was ASDL. 

Problems are both wired and wireless - sometimes our Sky box says we don't have an internet connection so can't display the TV guide and that's wired. Main issues are wireless/WiFi though. 

Baldrick1

@Mudweiser wrote:

Yep - our current bill would almost treble if we took fibre.

Sorry for being sceptical but would the increase be more than £5 per month? Is the tripling of cost  a quotation from Plusnet or an assumption?

As you say in your first post, this is 2020. ADSL is definitely a 20th century service.

Moderator and Customer

Mudweiser
Hooked

I need to call and enquire further but our current broadband costs are £10.99/month.

Going through the 'upgrades' part of my online portal, it's quoting me fibre at £28.99/month. 

Baldrick1

@Mudweiser 

Can I suggest that you might be taking just broadband from Plusnet and your telephone service is being supplied by another company?

If so, then Plusnet no longer offer broadband only contracts so you would have to move your phone to Plusnet. The £28.99 (which seems high and can probably be negotiated down if you only want standard 40/10 fibre) will include the telephone line but no call package. If you do your sums you might find that you can move your phone to Plusnet, upgrade to fibre and with a little haggling find yourself paying less for the package then you are now.

Moderator and Customer

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mudweiser,

I'm sorry to hear that your ADSL speed isn't suitable for your needs. As @Baldrick1 has mentioned, it sounds like your current package is for broadband only. We're no longer able to offer packages on a broadband only basis but our customer options team would be able to let you know what offers are available if you were to upgrade to fibre broadband and line rental. The team's direct number is 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours: 

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00

Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00

Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team