Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss?

Arcanum
Grafter

Packet Loss?

Hi

I believe we're having issues with packet loss - which is making online gaming impossible. Web browsing often fails too.

I've got a ticket raised (135317393)- and can't seem to get past the 'oh - looks like your line isn't stable.'
Ok, we don't have the best line, but now have the snr increased from 6db to 9db and interleaving turned on.

Neither of which will fix the packet loss, which looks to me as though it's further into the Plusnet network.

PL221016.jpg

I'd appreciate any help I can get, because we've had an unusable connection for about 2 weeks and I don't feel the primary cause has been investigated yet.

Thanks

Rob

17 REPLIES 17
sherwood
Hooked

Re: Packet Loss?

For about the last 3 weeks, I've been getting increasingly bad symptoms of what appears to be packet loss.

I've now reached the point where the connection is virtually unusable (it took me 4 attempts - timed out or DNS failure - to register for here just now).

The attached statistics look remarkably similar to yours (and starting at the same "hop" - and the same IP address!)

My connection, however, has been rock-solid from day1 with plusnet, and has remained so throughout the problem period.

(It took me 4 attempts to post this - as well).

Arcanum
Grafter

Hi Sherwood - hope you can get to read this!

I've spoken to support a number of times over the weekend.  Good job they're 0800 numbers!

I think we started having problems on the 5/10 - in that case, it was due to authentication issues.  Plusnet fixed that.

Since found out that was the date I was moved across to the new network.  Been a disaster ever since. 

Basics of fault finding.  Item 1 - What's changed?

No major problems before move to new network - rubbish ever since.  Guess what I'd pick up on?!

I agree - your problems look the same as mine.  At one stage yesterday it was up to 70% packet loss over a 10 minute period.  I can get periods of over a minute with no packets getting through.  Also, I've not noticed the adsl dropping either.

The frustrating thing is that when you ring up, the only things they're interested in is the connection from the house to the exchange.  I believe the problem is further on.

We do have an engineer coming out to the house to check things on Wednesday - Not sure what he'll find if anything.

Good luck getting it sorted.

sherwood
Hooked

...yes, mine hangs for minutes, and firing off the trace indicates anything up to 100% packet loss for those intervals - normally at the same hop that is shown as a problem in both your and my stats.

As it has been particularly bad ,I've reported my issue (electronically) this morning, going through the usual test hoops.

Seconds after submission, my line was dropped (one has to think it was an automated response), and, on return (with line speed retained), the response is currently much more stable.

There is still a small amount of packet loss showing (maybe 1% over an extended interval), but the most noticeable thing is that the routing across the previously failing hop is now different (IP addresses have changed).

I'll give it some time, but I can't say I'm confident.....

Arcanum
Grafter

When I phoned yesterday morning, they ran all the tests.  It forced a disconnect too.  I also changed the router (Plusnet request).  After that it did seem to be better - probably about 4% packet loss, but you could use it.  I also think that it moved onto a different set of IP addresses.

Later on, the problem re-appeared and was if anything worse.  Hope yours doesn't go the same way.

Arcanum
Grafter

Sherwood.  I'm in Chesterfield on the Holymoorside exchange.  Just wondered where you are.

thedonut
Dabbler

I am having the exact same issue in Flintshire CH6.

Packet loss is terrible but I know if I bring it up to support I'm going to get the usual non technical answers. I've tried 3 differnet routers, including Plusnets own adn the problem persists. Funnily, with similar IP ranges as you post above. (172.17.1*)

This was the packet loss over the course of an hour, this evening.

EyFUZmB

sherwood
Hooked

...I believe that the 172.17.1* IP addresses are BT's "Private" Network (i.e. not Internet Addressable) Servers. If so, their common appearance isn't entirely surprising (but Arcanum and I aren't far apart, and got a hit on the same one)..

thedonut
Dabbler

Agreed, I have started a separate thread ( but common issue ) in an effort not to hijack this original posters issue (here if you're interested)

Arcanum
Grafter

Hi Luke

Thanks for posting.  I wonder if we should have one master thread that links to associated threads? It may help to focus Plusnet!

I also look after two other accounts (parents and inlaws).  They've not complained, but unless it stopped altogether, I wouldn't expect them to.  Makes me wonder how many other customers are having this same issue but don't realise, or are getting the 30+ minute run-around you get when phoning.

I've been with Plusnet for a long time - was with Metronet before that.  It would be a shame to leave, but the service is not good.

sherwood
Hooked

I know to my cost that making early assumptions is dangerous.

However, though I have been out during the day, my son has been "exercising" the connection all day, and this evening I have had no evidence of any problems whatsoever.

Pingtest and the MTR packet trace tool are showing entirely normal service and my line connection is, as usual, rock solid.)

I don't want to count my chickens, but this is the best spell of use I've had for some three weeks! (during which it has got progressively worse)

Anyone else noticed any improvement.

Arcanum
Grafter

No don't say it!

But

I set PingPlotter going at about 17:50

It's showing 5 lots of loss since then.  A vast improvement. 

I guess we'll never know what Plusnet have done though.

I might even be able to use the computer tonight.

Arcanum
Grafter

My speeds are now not as good as they were.  Is it one or the other?  I used to get an upload of 1mb - BT speedtest now reports 0.1mb - 10 times worse. 

sherwood
Hooked

My speed is fine.

13.5Mbps down and 0.9 up (on copper) which is about as good as it gets.

Arcanum
Grafter

BT Openreach engineer visited yesterday.  Reported that there were no issues with the line.  Did report that Plusnet has restricted the upload to 0.5Mb - and should easily be capable of 1.1Mb. 

Hopefully that will be fixed now?!?

I've not had time to run a proper test, but the packet loss seems to have almost disappeared.  Fingers crossed it doesn't come back.