Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss - Ready to Leave

thedonut
Dabbler

Packet Loss - Ready to Leave

Evening all,

Ever since I have switched to Plusnet I've had problems with connectivity that nobody has been able to resolve. I have numerous tickets in regards to frequent disconnections that while seemingly solved from the technical stand point, in actual, real world usage, they are not and have increasingly got worse.

I am now experiencing packet loss to such an extreme that online activities such as streaming, gaming or browsing simply halt mid-experience and tell me I have no internet connection, only to return 10-15 seconds later.

I refuse to go through the same disaster of tickets and confusion that I have been forced to go through in regards to diagnosing my connection, so I'll break my points down, in very simple terms - in hopes of avoiding any repeated effort on both our parts.

Here is what I have done:

• Tested on the master socket
  • Tested with a wired connection
  • Tested with a wireless connection
  • Tested with multiple wired devices
  • Tested the phone line for noise
  • Attempted to use a non-default router (TP-Link) - correctly configured
  • Attempted to use a non-default ADSL specific modem (D-Link) - correctly configured
  • Attempted to use the default (Plusnet) router again
  • Reset all devices during peak times to see if it alleviated the issue (it did not)
  • Ensured only one device was plugged in during a period of instability (it made no difference)
  • NOTE: The issue is not within my internal network or wiring - the packet loss is appearing on the first, second or third hop inside Plusnet's internal network (172.17.*) prior to moving to BT's peer6/UKcore.

Here is what you have already done previously:

• Reset my line completely / DLM
  • Turn on interleaving
  • Turned off interleaving
  • Sent out an engineer (who found no fault on the line)
  • Reset my line again
  • Asked me to try a different router (I did, see above)

This issue is now affecting my usage on a daily basis and I absolutely need this resolved. If I cannot get it resolved, I'll be forced to move to another provider in an effort to receive a broadband service that is at the very least, stable.

I have included some packet loss and latency graphs taken over the past 24 hours. The first graph is a single 1 hour period, while the latter, an extended view - I think they speak for themselves.

1 Hour Snapshop1 Hour Snapshop24 Hours24 Hours

Thanks,
Luke

23 REPLIES 23
CrystalJayme
Grafter

Re: Packet Loss - Ready to Leave

Sorry to hear about your woes with Plusnet. Its obvious that Plusnet/BT are way over subscribed and the infrastructure simply cannot handle the connection speeds that we were all promised at the start date. I'm representing my parents and they have been receiving poor speeds and this has been going on for weeks actually since BT merger. They use to have a stable connection of around 12mbps maybe higher during day and night but now they are lucky to hit 5mbps during night. I'm going to to look for another isp for them because this is not acceptable.

Good luck and I hope you find a better isp who will take good care of you.

thedonut
Dabbler

I'm on a measly 2Mb line and it's still falling over 🙂 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you checked to see if it is related to you being on a particular gateway?

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
thedonut
Dabbler

That tells me which gateway I am on, am I able to see any potential issues it's having?

You are currently connected to gateway psb-ir01.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

CrystalJayme
Grafter

My parents are on

You are currently connected to gateway psb-ir01.

This is located in Southbank Point of Presence.

Arcanum
Grafter

Hi Luke

Good post and seems fairly complete.  As you pointed out, same issues as you noted on my post (link).  Appears not to be local problems.  It would be nice if someone from Plusnet would actually respond - it's making me think they know there is a serious problem that either they cannot or will not solve. 

Arcanum
Grafter

How is your connection tonight?  Any improvement?

thedonut
Dabbler

Tonight seems to be OK, to be honest. I've experienced no loss over the past 2 hours - but it's a mystery to what, if anything has resolved this and knowing my (our) luck it'll all be broken again tomorrow. Some sort of word from Plusnet would be useful.

V4nMIOS

Arcanum
Grafter

I noticed that the router reconnected earlier today.  The upload speed is significantly lower than it was.

thedonut
Dabbler

Well, it would seem our old packet loss friend is back with a vengeance. 

dqHsuhx

thedonut
Dabbler

This issue continues and I've still had no word, or even an update to my ticket. I've been told it will take up to 5 days to get a response.

a 25 minute period....a 25 minute period....1ooAt8i

I'm starting to think it's going to be easier just to move away from Plusnet because they're failing to do me proud.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So what are you ADSL stats like now? Is interleaving on or off? ADSL1 or ADSL2?

You've got about 40% packet loss everywhere beyond your router, so it could quite possibly be occurring on the ADSL link over your phone line between your modem/router and the exchange.

thedonut
Dabbler

ADSL Modulation : ADSL2 PLUS
Cable Status : ADSL Link Up

Connection Type : PPPoE/PPPoA
Network Status : Connected
Connection Up Time : 0:00:00:43
Downstream Line Rate : 2331 kbps
Upstream Line Rate : 390 kbps

They have yet to turn interleaving on again yet - but it didn't resolve the issue last time. 

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Do you have any further details, such as line attenuation and SNR / Noise margin?

Have you checked the phone line is quiet with a telephone?

If the stats in your old thread are anything to go by, your upstream speed seems bad.

You might get a small improvement generally by setting the DSL modulation / mode to ADSL2 (instead of ADSL2+), but it won't fix this problem, which I'm guessing is due to your bad phone line rather than packet loss at Plusnet.