Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss - Firmware update required?

ianc1990
Grafter

Packet Loss - Firmware update required?

Hi Guys,
I have recently started PC Gaming and I am noticing quite often that I get quite a lot of packet loss.  At first I put this down to the specific server (always used the same one) but then started playing on others (5+ hosted in different countries) and I have the exact same issue on all of them.
Game in question is Battlefield 4.
Packet loss is normally around 3% in and out, but sometimes it goes upto 6%.
Obviously, my machine is on Cat6 to the router so before people mention it, wifi isn't the problem Smiley  It just seems like quite a waste as I specced a £1200 machine with a 144Hz monitor and normally get 30ish FPS due to the packet loss Sad
After doing some investigation, I recall that I am on a trial firmware version as I played around with IPv6 a while back.  Is it possible for someone at plusnet to provide me with/update my router to the latest firmware, and also potentially look into this for me?
Your help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Packet Loss - Firmware update required?

If in Scotland probably the gateway/endpoint you are connected to.  Depending on the gateway I am connected I will get loss, which one of the PN guru's thinks is down to congestion http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123979.msg1076447.html#msg1076447
I have a theory as to what the problem is but to prove it I'll need to take a look at exactly where you are connected to when the problem happens (or, if the next time the problem happens, don't disconnect/reconnect and we can then see where you're connected through).
AAISP have seen packet loss on the Falkirk BRASs (which your connection is on), we can see a bit too on our monitoring but probably not as much. My theory is that there's congestion on one of the routes between the BRASs and us but not every route. The route will change when you disconnect/reconnect. This is probably why AAISP see it across all their lines but we aren't.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
ianc1990
Grafter

Gus, was your reply intended for this post?  Smiley
EDIT: I see what you mean now Smiley  Silly me.  Unfortunately(or fortunately in this instance I guess?) no, I'm not in Scotland but North Yorkshire.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

You can upgrade to the latest firmware via http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ you need to choose the ADSL option
It might be worth creating a ping graph so we can see how your line is preforming overall.
Your line has been stable and does look OK having taken a look. Do you have any noise/interference on your phone line at all?