cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package allowances

pcoventry76
Grafter

Package allowances

I want to re-join PN as i was a customer years ago, your local and i believe in supporting the little guy, and even when not a punter you answer my tickets very fast
However your packages are not as competitve as others, are there any plans to change?
I can get 30Gb on peak and 300Gb off peak for my £19,99 a month ( which i had before) compared to 10GB on pro with decent chance of a good service with gold and titanium
Any feedback on packages guys?
Pete
30 REPLIES 30
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Package allowances

I would say coming back could be a bit silly.
PN are not the 'little' guy - they're now part of BT.
Not only that, but just because they're local doesn't mean they give a monkeys about giving you service. I'm using both their broadband AND 56k connections (at the same time) and STILL struggling to download AVG at 2.5k!!!!
If that doesn't set alarms ringing...
2.5k is appalling for broadband.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The BBYW packages have not been out that long so the chances of them changing in price in the near future are slim as there are no impending price reductions from BT Wholesale.
If you can find a better package elsewhere then go for it. PN do though give a lot of detail about what you get and the speeds you should expect on certain protocols. Gaming if that is your thing is (for known games) in the highest priority all the time.
You also get a free router on some packages subject to staying for 12 months.
It really depends on what you want out of your package and whether any data such as P2P can be schedules off-peak and thus reducing your peak time needs.
Finally you also need to consider the support you now get from PN and what others have said about the better product you have seen. Ignore the above as he is having problems with his broadband connection at the moment so is naturally negative towards plusnet.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Sorry Pete, but I'm going to have to say okrzynska's comments are a pretty/very harsh assessment of PlusNet.
What type of usage does your traffic consist of (gaming, web surfing, p2p, etc)? Although there are limitations on specific areas of your traffic, you don't really notice it unless you are a heavy user of P2P (AFAIK general Internet usage isn't shaped in the same way/at all: clarify anyone please?).
I've had nothing but great things from PlusNet in the time I've been with them (not very long I grant you), and the service is the best I've seen between all previous ISPs put together (AND they are in the UK and most know what they are talking about - hurrah!)
[off-topic]
okrzynska, I appreciate you are having problems with your service, but the staff are trying to help you. You previously admitted shouting down the phone at a CSC representitive - this won't help process your fault issue any quicker. I suggest following the steps they have requested you take in order for an idea of the cause of the situation to be established. Only then can they advise you of a suitable solution. Smiley
[/off-topic]
pcoventry76
Grafter

i do game but i also just surf and download, i had sky £5 a month which was okay but the 40GB cap sucked,
i do not do alot of downloading overnight, i dont trust y pc to be on all night
im not interested in a free router etc i have adsl routers coming out my bum and i use ethernet over power circuits so wireless is not needed
having said all the above i just browse and do emails i get 3GB usage 3G on my contract i might just use that
Ill try the other company first, it's all 1 month contracts and then maybe ill come to PN
thanks for the feedback
Pete
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Take an English course first.
It is usual for a sentence to start with a Capital letter and terminate with a full stop. Contractions should include an apostrophe to indicate that you have omitted letters so "im" would be spelt "I'm" or "I am".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jabns

@axisofevil:
LOL
@pcoventry76:
If all you do is browse the web why is SKY's package a problem? I personally would find it hard to find a small school use that much downstream bandwidth let alone one person(Obviously just browsing the web and reading emails). So unless your downloading lots of high res images(ie: CAD) i would have stuck with sky.
I personally moved from Plus Net because they do not provide MLPPP but if they did or BT rolled out some new Annex M products i would be back in a flash.
Current down speed for me with 2x MAX Premium Lines is 13805kbps(DL) and 1235kbps(UL).
James Barlow
James
Grafter

Might make a point that there's no need to us to be slating people for their written English (and that's coming from me!).
Let's just keep the conversation on topic, which should prove to be an interesting one.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Take an English course first.
It is usual for a sentence to start with a Capital letter and terminate with a full stop. Contractions should include an apostrophe to indicate that you have omitted letters so "im" would be spelt "I'm" or "I am".

fair doos
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Hmmmm, so you were reaching the 40Gb cap within the month yea? If you were able to schedule your downloads overnight, I guess that could bring your usage amounts down.
For the love of God, don't go near Sky again Tongue Awful awful awful awful company!
P.S. Please cut out the pettyness, this thread is about Package allowances, it's neither a language class nor a debate to see "who's is bigger".
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I assume you don't want to leave your PC on because it's an expensive games optimised machine?
Do you have access to a cheap/oldish PC?
1) If it's good enough you could set it up as a (networked) file server (for example you could do backups to it). You could put your overnight downloads on this.
2) If it's really slow, you could just use it as a networked machine to take your overnight downloads.
Once a download has completed you could use a local transfer mechanism to get the file onto the "good machine". There are many methods to do this.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

No i have just a basic laptop, i do have a bog standard middle of the road PC but i don't want to leave a PC on overnight i had one that caught fire once and i'm not going through that again
no i never got near the cap on sky - to be honest they do a free on with 2GB usage, but the 40GB one was only £5 a month and it was a bog standard max package
i only get 4.5mb anyway but ive had 20MB on cable and i've lost the interest in downloading the world - literally.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Do you have a rough idea what your usage amounts are? If you can work out a rough figure it'll help you decide what way to go.
I was with Sky on the package that you mentioned, but after a month I realised things were going nowhere and I left them and came to PlusNet - I don't mind paying a little more money to get exceptional service and help.
Sorry if you've mentioned this previously in the thread but I can't see it - how much are you looking to spend per month on the Internet connection?
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well to be honest all i do is surf do banking and play games, if ( as suggested earlier) i get my desktop PC sorted out i can download what i need overnight, im often on overnight aswell.
Im bored of downloading movies etc, im just waiting to make sure my cable connection goes off tonight them ill order via my 3G line.
Im looking at pro, 10GB will bemore than enough for surfing etc if i can do downloads overnight ( which i assume i can)
Im also looking to put my home phone across too - however what happens if i leave? is it still a BT line? ( i guess so)

Pete
James
Grafter

Hi Pete,
It's kind of a BT line, although you just don't pay them.  It's supplied by Openreach.  If you were to leave, you can always ask another telephone supplier to take over your line, which is standard practice.
From what you've said, I reckon Pro will be the perfect product for you.  you can always try it on our 90 day guarantee too.  If it's not for you, then you can cancel/migrate out within the 90 day period and we'll refund all of your subscription fees!