cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSP connection (wireless)

louisetoplis

PSP connection (wireless)

Hi all,
I'm having trouble working out how to connect my PSP to my wireless connection.
I'm using a Thomson TG585 v7, and have a PSP with v2.60 firmware. I need to update the firmware and can only do this wirelessly, as I have a Mac and can't connect to the PSP by USB.
Can you please advise on where I'm going wrong with connection settings?
I get through the wireless set-up and follow with the below settings, and it just stalls when trying to connect and times out:
1. Infrastructure Mode
2. WLAN - Scan
3. Choose my network SSID
4. Choose security as WPA-PSK (TKIP)
5. Enter my WPA key
6. Address settings: Easy
7. Save connection
Then I test connection, it starts to "exchange key information" and then it times out.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
x
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PSP connection (wireless)

Hmmm, do you have MAC address filtering enabled on the router? Other than that not sure, unless the router is set to WPA2. What other options are there on the PSP?
louisetoplis

How do I check if there is MAC address filtering enabled Matt? I don't think I do, I can connect other devices like my PS3 and iPhone wirelessly without problems.
Also, how do I check if the router is set to WPA2?
Options are limited on the PSP - it allows me to enter a specific IP address if I wanted to, but I understand that Plusnet IP addresses aren't static so I can't do this?!
Thanks,
avatastic
Grafter

I don't remember my PSP requiring any extra drivers for the PC when using it over USB.
Is it possible that the Mac will just detect the PSP + CoreDuo stick as an external drive, and you can put the firmware on to it that way?
I've found my PSP is flakey when connecting to my WPA+WPA2 wireless so I usually knock it down to just WPA for the duration of any updates etc.
I think I've also had to enable 802.11b mode on the wireless in the past.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re the MAC filtering, if you haven't turned it on then it won't be - though WPA/WPA2 (as mentioned by avatastic above) is the default security mode for the router. You can change this to WPA only, which might work - log on to the router at http://192.168.1.254 (username and password as per the leaflet that came with the router) and choose Home network on the left, then click the wireless network on the main page. Then choose configure in the top right and the security dropdown is at the bottom of the page - select WPA.
Alternatively take the memory stick out of the PSP and use a card reader to copy the firmware file directly onto that - you should then be able to put it back in the PSP and update it from there via the PSP's settings (again as avatastic says Smiley )
Hope that helps,
louisetoplis

Thanks guys! Changing to WPA worked perfectly! Problem solved! Thanks again Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

I think I remember this, if it's an original (fat) PSP you can't use WPA2 until you update the firmware, so once you update try again with WPA2 and it should work.