cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE / PPPoA?

bobboulby
Grafter

Re: PPPoE / PPPoA?

Thanks for all the advice Smiley Today's job is to lay 15m of Ethernet cable under the carpet, then I'll have a think about what to do next.
Bob.
bobboulby
Grafter

Ok, the cable is laid so I've come back to this for another look.
I think I'll try using the DG834G as a modem and connect it to the Asus. Is it simply a case of accessing the hidden page, setting the DG834G to modem only mode, connecting it to the ASUS and then going through the ASUS set-up? I'm keen to be able to get at the line stats so how would this work (through the ASUS or Netgear)?
Quote from: purleigh
If you only have a few ethernet things to connect, I can recommend one of these Netgear GS205 for <£15 which works very well.

@purleigh, yes that would work but I'm trying to get everyting lined up for when we get FTTC. My plan is that I will only need to swap over to a fibre modem once our exchange is enabled.
Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm in new territory here  Undecided
Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Is it simply a case of accessing the hidden page, setting the DG834G to modem only mode, connecting it to the ASUS and then going through the ASUS set-up?
More or less yes, I've no experinec of doing it but found this which gives a little more info http://blog.crox.net/archives/40-Netgear-DG834-bridge-mode-PPPoE.html
I'm keen to be able to get at the line stats so how would this work (through the ASUS or Netgear)?
It won't I'm afraid, you lose access to the DG834, its now just a modem. The same is true for most (if not all) devices when they are acting as modems only. Not sure if it's the same with the DGTeam f/w as purleigh suggested but if it is possible then it would only be by directly connecting to the DG834 and not via the ASUS.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobboulby
Grafter

Here's an update for anyone who's interested.
I set everything up this morning and it all went remarkably smoothly. Following the instructions at http://blog.crox.net/archives/40-Netgear-DG834-bridge-mode-PPPoE.html, I set the DG834G to modem only mode and by plugging in to one of the LAN ports, you can still log on to 192.168.0.1 and get a cut down menu including the line stats (see screenshot).
I then connected up the ASUS, the auto set-up detected everything correctly and I was up and running  Smiley
Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

by plugging in to one of the LAN ports, you can still log on to 192.168.0.1 and get a cut down menu including the line stats
That's interesting, does it have to be any specific port ? and/or does the router need to be in a specific port ? does the PC you plug in need a static IP in the 192.168.0.x subnet ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobboulby
Grafter

I'm not sure to be honest.
The router is plugged in to the DG834G's LAN port 1 (I'm sure I read somewhere that you should use this one but I haven't tested any of the others). I plugged my laptop randomly in to one of the other ports, (port 3 I think), typed 192.168.0.1 in to the browser and it just worked. I didn't change any settings on the laptop.
Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Bob. At least it's useful to know of another router that can be used in bridge mode.