Did you mean: 

PN line speed reset needed?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: PN line speed reset needed?

@ejs,

Thanks for myth busting - may be its the cost of the SPF engineer (if any still exist) which drives the belief that copper pathway issues belong in the domain of the CP rather than ISP.  There ought to be no division here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Thanks for your patience @Mardler testing your broadband service, your line is stable and in sync at 17.6 Mbps which is within estimates of between 16 Mbps and 19 Mbps.

If your line is crackling you would need to report this to your phone provider I'm afraid because there's no fault identified with your broadband connection. Let us know if you have any questions.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I can state with a considerable degree of certainty, that that's the best thing I've read all day.

Mardler
Rising Star

I've been away for a few days hence little input.

First of all, thanks to Townman and ejs for your input. And yes, ejs, I do understand balanced lines: ours was badly unbalanced but one BTOR assured me he'd corrected it (same guy who swore there was an underground copper line fault).

As for Anoush's last comment, that misses the point entirely.

The noise on the line has increased dramatically over the last 10 years and if I'm right since Dec 15 (certainly it has been far worse since then; the line was rock solid before then so I don't have the data only my and my son's memories - he was amazed at the SNRM some 10 years ago). 
My point is that once we were able to use the internet in the evening but now we are not: even with the noisy TV throughout 2014 and up to mid Dec 15 this presented zero broadband problem.

The fact is that SNRM drops a lot at night exacerbated by the noisy line.

My neighbours still get good SNRM levels c.9 to 10 and their sync is c.19 to 21 (TT, BT) and 17 to 18 (PN) with no, or very rare, outages.
Obviously, I want this line and BB connection to be back where it was just after ADSL2+ (and in Aug, Sept 2016) not degraded as it is. Sync is irrelevant if BB outages caused by inherent line noise which is added to at night by topographical and local RFI prevent internet use!
I have errands to run but will be back later and post some facts in precis form. ITM, I'm taking the last PN comment as my ISP washing its hands of the matter - I am less than impressed.

Mardler
Rising Star

Btw, can anyone explain why the BT Wholesale speed test always gives ridiculous results (e.g. as low as 1mbps and currently c.7 when Ookla gives c.14) on this line ONLY?

My neighbours all use the BTW and Ookla tests and they always agree within a small margin: the BTW test never gives such low results as this line always does.

figgley
Grafter

I've tried them all, son. The only one I trust is Ookla connected to the Seacom server in London.

I'm on PN fibre 40/2 yet many of these test sites show upload speeds in excess of 2 Mb/s.

Ookla shows upload at 1.84 on a wireless connection and that sounds about right to me.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The point is, there is no obligation for any part of BT to fix your line until you are satisfied with the DSL stats, or until it's as good as your neighbours, or until it's as good as it once was.

However,

You keep telling us you've had numerous past engineer visits, but you don't mention when they were - it's possible that your line has got worse since then, and that your line may have now become bad enough so that a visiting engineer might do something about it. I'm guessing that however many previous engineer visits you may have had in the past, it's going to require another to get something done about it, and I don't think there's some magic word to guarantee that you'll get a good engineer.

Or I suppose you could order a second line, and if the broadband works better on that, cease the old line.

Mardler
Rising Star

figgley - I agree. ThinkBB is OK, too: they have some large files for download against a stopwatch. Using this method I confirmed that Ookla and ThinkBB are correct.

ejs - I keep mentioning the BTOR engineer visits because it's true! The first were in December 15 when the entire village centre lost BB completely. There was another vist in May 2016 plus a private guy. Then, in November and December there were more visits (including the guy who was adamant that it was an underground line fault and promised to escalate it but never did) and one in Jan 17 arranged by Tony Thompson of PN.
The degraded down attenuation was there throughout 2016.
But I agree: another BT callout looks necessary though I may resort to my other connection (!) instead - the serious fault squad or whatever they're called.

Mardler
Rising Star

An addendum to my last comment.

I mentioned the down attenuation in 2016 from memory so checked my stats: I was right, about 18 to 19 all year.

An interesting situation started last October when the good connection throughout August and September suddenly was lost. On Oct 28 sync dropped to 11.583, down attenuation rose a tad to 19.5 but SNRM went to 17.1. On Nov 10 SNRM was 32.9! On Nov 11, sync 431 (yes, 431!), down attn 25 and SNRM 45.9.
Note that these figures are with the TG582n router. The old DG834Gv2 installed mid Jan 17 gave 17 for down attn and the new 7800DXL gives a steady 15.5.
No need for comment, I just make the observation to back up my thinking that the line is bad.

I have assumed that PN isn't interested so next week I'll take the matter up with my BT Regional Director and his High Level Resolution team.

Mardler
Rising Star

Interesting.
It's been pouring here for a few hours.
Down power has dropped a tad from 19 to 18.9. Down attn has risen from 15.5 to 16.
SNRM has dropped to as low as 4.6 but the connection held yet a few minutes before with SNRM at 5.6 it dropped.

Edit at 17.04.15 - 02.04:- TV off but SNRM not changed - still c.4.8 to 5.2. Very strange.

Mardler
Rising Star

Just reset SNRM to 7, came up as 7.1.

Attainable rate down from 19420 to 18108, sync is 16842 instead of 17380-ish so PN line speed/IPP will fall.

Will monitor for outages and keep an eye on SNRM to see if DSLAM (or rather, MSAN) resets to c.6.

Mardler
Rising Star

Monitoring is ongoing.

Strange outage last night c.01.00. No TV on, SNRM c.5.5. Suddenly, an outage - on reconnect upstream SNRM was c.2 instead of the usual c.7. Disconnect probably due to upstream connection not d/s.

Thoughts?

Another outage at 04.30 but both SNRMs normal.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Mardler, strange I agree, have you tried our helpful guides, it may help to resolve it, you can find them Here

Mardler
Rising Star

I've researched and tried everything, Tony! That error hasn't reoccurred, though, so fingers crossed.

I've been engaged in other matters so have not looked at the connection too much lately but it still drops nearly every day and sometimes several times. Luckily, it's summer so long days mean less ionospheric propagation in the evening.

Last night's outage, with SNRM 6.1, was at 01.18. Resync 17.867, SNRM now is 5.6 (usually c.6.5 even if overnight resyncs at 5 due to router setting) and first d/l speed test was c.13 (IPP 15.76, PN line speed 15.4) but a second one was just over 14).

I'm still waiting for a call from BT's Higher Level Complaints team (or whatever they're called).