Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN blocking port 25? - RESOLVED.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

PN blocking port 25? - RESOLVED.

I'm sure they're not because a couple of websites say that they can connect to my port 25 however I have a rather odd problem I've never had before:
I can't accept any connections to my SMTP server on port 25! Nothing external can connect! I've got my port forwarding setup in the same way as my port 80 (which works) but I am still unable to get any incoming SMTP connections to work  Undecided The test websites say that they can connect to port 25 however the smtp test sites say that they are unable to connect. I've checked my DDNS settings and my MX records and they are all correct, up to date and my auto updater is working  Crazy
Am I missing something? I vaguely remember PN having a connection firewall but unless its been tinkered with in the last year or two I'm sure I turned it off so it shouldn't be affecting it. From inside my network the SMTP server is working fine - tested with outlook / outlook express, it accepts anything from any machine but despite my port forwarding being set and the rooter being rebooted, no external SMTP clients can connect to my SMTP server. All my other port redirects work (80, VNC, etc) so I'm stumped.
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: PN blocking port 25?

Hi Sprite,
Quote from: Sprite
I'm sure they're not because a couple of websites say that they can connect to my port 25 however I have a rather odd problem I've never had before:
I can't accept any connections to my SMTP server on port 25!

What do you mean by this? They seem like contradictory statements...
What's the domain? I can see how it looks from here.
Mathew
7up
Community Veteran

Sites like shields up (grc.com) are able to connect to port 25 (probably my router accepting 'a' connection but refusing to do anything else with it) but the smtp test sites such as mxtoolbox and wormly are unable to connect to the SMTP server itself. To be sure that the smtp sites work I've tested them on my main live website and they both report success. Something is definitely screwy at my end.
Confused? You're not the only one  Cheesy  Undecided
Will PM you the subdomain a bit later, I need to do a few bits first..
itsme
Grafter

ShieldsUp only look to see if a port is open. The SMTP test look more closely at the responses. So what are the error messages you are seeing and have you look at the logs from your SMTP server?
7up
Community Veteran

MXToolbox just says the connection time out.. and I've just found out why in the last 20 minutes..
My trusty useless Edimax AR-7266WnA router will allow you to setup as many port forwards as you like. Great right?.. Except it only actually forwards the very first one in the list. You have to delete everything and add a new port every time you want to redirect a port. So.. I can't have both port 80 AND 25, it must be one OR the other.
No wonder my VNC was inaccessible.
7up
Community Veteran

Sorted.. Always some really obscure little setting somewhere isn't there  Crazy
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: PN blocking port 25? - RESOLVED.

Absolutely. All part of the fun though... afterwards of course, not at the time..  Wink
Mathew