Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN IP profile check/change?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: PN IP profile check/change?

Talk about the complete abject failure to own problems - especially local multi-user problems - in your own infrastructure is so indicative of all that is wrong with BT Openreach.  They are simply not fit for purpose.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do get your neighbours to report noisy line problems.  OR might be totally clueless about  a more general fault. 
gingerbloke
Grafter

I seem to be on a low IP profile (again!) - can some here give it a kick?
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.21 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.11 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.25 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

The BT IP profile cannot be readily kicked, especially on 20CN. It should rise again in a matter of hours looking at that profile and current DSL rate.
gingerbloke
Grafter

Unfortunately it sync'd at a lower 1600 for a few hours earlier, so it will be stuck awhile. The line noise causes so many resyncs (often low, sometimes .3 or even .14) that the IP profile never really gets a chance to rise.
BT engineer back out again Monday  Shocked
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure he gets his ladder out and goes up the DP at least. I'd say he really needs to get a cherry picker in and go over your line with a fine tooth comb. The cost of all the engineers that have attended of late must have way exceeded what it would have cost if they got there with a cherry picker on the 2nd visit and did the job properly  Roll_eyes
gingerbloke
Grafter

This is turning to farce - it's 17:40pm and no sign of a BT engineer. The line has been consistently noisy all afternoon (since about 12:30) - many reconnects.
I'm losing the will to live.......
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm sorry to hear a engineer hasn't shown up.
I've flagged it to our Faults team leaders to get this picked up ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gingerbloke
Grafter

Matthew - could you check the ticket again? I was given a number by BTO (0800 678 3064 option2) to call but it just says 'sorry there's a system fault'
Adam
gingerbloke
Grafter

BT engineer turned up, experienced the noise as soon as he arrived. He was here from 8am until around 12:30, disappearing down the lane to investigate 2 areas that showed on TDR. He swapped a pair over in the area between my village and the exchange.
Very clear line so far, modem has been sync'd since he left.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.77 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.69 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5.5 Mbps
If this holds I'll be very happy.
A
Anotherone
Champion

Well progress at last Smiley    Can you post the full DSL stats from your modem/router - is it still a Billion you are using?
gingerbloke
Grafter

This BT engineer seemed quite determined - shame he wasn't the first to call on me. To be fair, the noise I was experiencing was becoming worse as time went on.
Billion stats :
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 6688
SNR Margin(Upstream) 19.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 29.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 54.0
(there is some SNR tuning set on this modem)
Line still noise free and BB running very well (IP profiles must have come inline because torrenting gets 630Kbytes/s)
Adam
Anotherone
Champion

Well fingers crossed then Adam. You can check your own Current Line speed (Login required).
Your line is doing very well for the length, I'm not sure I believe a speed (the torrent) that's above the profile though. Out of curiosity, are you tweaking the SNRM at all? You realise that your sync speed is 128kbps short of a 6Mbps profile. You might not gain anything even if you could get up to 6816kbps as the error rate may be sufficiently high, you lose out on throughput.
gingerbloke
Grafter

See attached from qBittorent on a well seeded torrent.
There may be data compression going on, or qBit is wrong? Either way it's a world away from where it has been.
The Billion does have some SNRM tuning, but I'm happy to leave it for a while and let it run to check it's stable. I can run iPlayer HD no problem 'as is' and that's always been a target (seeing as I live rurally).
A
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not suggesting tweaking SNRM at this time Adam, if your connection holds as is that's fine, the reason I asked was because the SNRM was a bit low (3.4dB) for 20CN with the higher than expected sync speed. The current profile is 5.5Mbps for which the 20CN sync speed range is 6240-6784kbps. So on 20CN syncing just a bit higher than 6240 rather than a lot higher (6688) would give better errors.
I'd be very surprised if syncing at 6816 or just above would give you a low enough error rate or high enough SNRM that your connection would hold overnight, and an overnight resync could drop your sync speed (hence profile) markedly. It's a case of trying to manipulate things for the best balance between highest profile and ability to hold connection with low errors.
Ha, now the Torrent speeds. My mistake for misreading 630Kbytes/s as 6300kbit/s the former being well below profile not above Embarrassed  but the torrent speed is in KBytes/s the capital B for Bytes being the important bit and the reason I goofed on what I read, so times 8 to get kb/s gives 5040kb/s - pretty fair for a 5.5Mbps profile.
Your best bet would be to run RS-Lite and see how your SNRM is doing over day and night, but especially night time. That will give an idea as to what may be the best settings to try and achieve - assuming the line is now fixed of course Wink