Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE take this seriously....

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

PLEASE take this seriously....

Sorry for the title, but I am getting more and more annoyed by the CSCs lack of interest in this fault. I had a bad intermittant sync fault in Nov09-Jan10, that eventually seemed to be fixed by a line card replacement in the exchange. After this I reverted to Daves DLM trial, and the line has been SUPER stable. Since Sunday however the intermittant sync issues have returned, together with the stupidly low upstream syncs, and an increase in attenuation, from 42dB to sometimes upwards of 48-50dB. Also this time I also have been getting frequent failures in PPP authentication, and the wife has noticed hissing on the line. We have PlusNet home phone also. I phoned CSC, who went though all the usual speal.  I used the master socket with brand new filters, but the latency on the line with this was horrendous, and I have gone back to the XTE5 faceplate. Rang CSC tonight to inform them of the PPP issues, and the sync issues etc.  The line actually dropped sync during the conversation, and took 20mins to come back. CSC were particularly unhelpful, and said they would pass back to faults, and take it from there. I realise there is a sequence to follow with this, but if you looked back through the records, you would be able to see this is nearly exactly the same fault as previously, where I suspected a dodgy joint.  I really need a BT engineer here soon, when the fault is there, as previously BT engineer have been out, where the line became stable....   Can Mand or Chris or anyone from CSC take a look at this, and see if we can get a BT vist sorted sooner rather than later.  To be honest its really starting to p*** me off, but I am caught, as even if I moved supplier, this issue is obviously not exchange side, so I will take the fault with me.
Please Help.......
Current Sync
Rate:  3719 kbs  299 kbs
Max Rate: 6049 kbs 364 kbs
Noise Margin: 19.8 dB 9.8 dB
Attenuation: 45.5 dB 24.6 dB
Output Power: 19.5 dBm 12.5 dBm
I now appear to have a 19.8 noise margin, even though it should be hard wired to 9dB I will PM Dave regards this.
8 REPLIES 8
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PLEASE take this seriously....

Hi penfold,
I'll have a look at your fault now and see what I can do. I'll also give Dave a nudge in the direction of this post for you. Will update shortly.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt.  I appreciate this.  have you looked through my previous faults logs, as most of what is detialed in there, is whats happening now.
Rgrds
Chris
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well according to the ticket, this should have been actioned, but nothing seems to have happened.  Line has stableised, but upstream sync is still abnormal, as is the attenuation.
Current Stats
Rate:          5459 kbs  119 kbs
Max Rate: 5757 kbs 172 kbs
Noise Margin: 10.6 dB 10.1 dB
Attenuation:   46.9 dB 26.0 dB
Output Power:  19.6 dBm 12.0 dBm
Attenuation for the last month or so, has been 42dB, giving me a sync of around 7000, at a fixed margin of 9dB. ( On Daves DLM trial).
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Can one of the Comms team please take a look at my ticket please.....  I seem to be getting nowhere with the CSC, I have left replys to my tickets asking to be called, but nothing happening. According to my router, had 75 resyncs in the last 24hrs.  Stats poor for my line.  Line hissing.  Can somebody please ring me, with an update  Cry Cry  I cant take much more of this lack of communication.
I dont want to sound bullish, but its the same fault that has now been going on for months....  Everytime BT come out, they find no fault.  I have noticed on another post, that there is such thing as a Hawk Line quality test.  Would this be any good for my fault? I suspect I have a high resistance fault, as my attenuation has gone up.
Thanks in advance
David_W
Rising Star

If the line is hissing that would cause your router to reboot, the line is noisy so it'll be a BT problem.  If the hissing is intermittent, wait until it's hissing and then phone up BT faults, the person you talk to should be able to hear the noise and log it for the engineer (that way they can't charge you), if it's constant just phone them up and ask them if they can hear the hissing, don't mention the internet though, just the line noise.
You could though also head to BT's website and start a fault investigation from there, it'll usually tell you if it finds a fault and where it's located to in the network, at least it did when my phone was noisy as a noise could be.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

BT engineer booked for this afternoon, well guess what, another no show...........   Just who the link:censored do openreach think they are. If they cant make it for some reason just bloody ring. Line still as bad, crackly and hissing on quiet line test.  Will all be OK when BT turn up.  Cant face ringing the CSC tonight to get the same old [Censored] from a script blahblah....   Sorry if I sound annoyed because I AM.  My wife stayed in all afternoon, and my 2 small children were denied going out even thought the weather was good.  What compensation do I get from this,  [Censored] all.  This is JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed as per link:rules]
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well second BT engineer turned up, and phoned before hand, to give us estimated times.  He seemed a very nice and knowlegable chap (Why cant they all be like this......) Took note of my issues, and actually read my notes I had left, as I was at work.  He even rang my mobile to discuss some issues with me.  All appears back to normal now, but my wife was unsure as to what he had done. He said he had sorted the 'D' side of the line, but if things got no better or worse, then the 'E' side would need sorting.  What I want to know really is, did he just do a line pair swap, or did he remake joints.  Added to my ticket, but it comes as no surprise 2 days later no response.  Can any of the Comms chaps access the engineer notes, and see what he did.  I would just like to know really. He said any other engineer could get access to his notes, but previous experience tells me otherwise.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Spoke too soon.  Resyncs started again this morning. My wife mentioned internet unavailable all day, Rebooted router when I came home and all seemed fine, good syncs, but 20-30mins later resyncs started again. Obviously still some issues remaining.  Not sure what BT will make of this, and TBH dont care, there is obviously still an issue.  I have noticed in another Post a BT engineer was booked for 5hrs, to completely investigate the line.  Can this still be done, as this is the same issues as in Dec/Jan, therefore same fault ongoing.  I do think, there are probably a number of iffy joints somewhere, that need sorting.  Its noticeable, that we have had bad rain today.....