Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG - running out of bandwidth

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

PAYG - running out of bandwidth

School holidays are almost over but my kids and wife are doing their best to use up my usual 4GB limit on PAYG.
What happens when I go over the limit I think I just get charged for another  2GB but seem to remember it is very marginally cheaper  (about a chocolate bar's worth) to buy in advance.
Can someone let me know please? I 'm sure that 4GB will be sufficent again next month so it's just a top up for this month I think I'll need.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: PAYG - running out of bandwidth

I'm very risk averse.
I moved to PAYG after BB+ became unusable last year (thought the rebate of a months fees was very reasonable of PN BTW) Even though BBYW is supposed to be as quick and good as PAYG I still am a bit sceptical and if the posts on the forum post here are to be believed there is a catch in the "more bandwidth for less money deal" that is BBYW http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=1131.0
So Happy to pay a couple of quid more for a fast relaible well supported connection.
In fact I dont know why PN dont keep PAYG as it seems like the fairest way to charge anything else relies on winners and losers - Id rather just pay my way!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to throw in my 2 cents - I will stay on PAYG until the external ftp speed restriction is lifted - expected maximum downstream speeds 256kbps at the time I want to use it.
itsme
Grafter

When you add more bandwidth this is applied immediately to your account so that you can benefit from it straight away. So your next bill will have the additional charge for the current month (in fact it will be the last month) and the charge for the extra bandwidth for period covered by the bill. This will give the impression that you have been billed twice for the extra bandwidth.
You will not be able to reduce the bandwidth until you are in the next billing period. So you will have to pay a minimum of 2 months for the extra. So if it's a one month only bleep in usage I would reckon it will be more expensive to buy in advance. Don't know the cost of the extra bandwidth.
If you do go over you bandwidth and you get charge for the extra I believe if you then elect to purchase in advance this cancel the more expensive rate.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That looks right to me. The cost is £1.50 per 2GB in advance and I think £2 per 2GB if you just run over.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Extra bandwidth costs £1.50 for 2GB in advance, and £1.80 for 2GB in arrears.
The PAYG product page now lives here.
As itsme says, if you add another 2GB this month you will be charged for that on this bill, and then for next month's 2GB in advance. You can remove it at any point after 30 days, but if you're certain 4GB will be enough next month you may well be better off just paying the £1.80 in arrears.