Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over zealous usage 'warning'!

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Over zealous usage 'warning'!

Says it all.
We got up to 3.21GB in paid-for usage last night, with one day (today) to go before the end of our current biling period, so I was most surprised to see an email titled "Broadband usage warning" sitting in my inbox this morning saying we had almost reached the 4GB limit and that we would be charged extra if we went over (we have a price limit set for another GB on top, via the 'Control Your Broadband' page, just in case). Even including free usage the total hadn't reached 3.5GB in total at the time last night that the email was sent out and still hasn't as I write this.
It might be more diplomatic and less alarming for lower bandwidth users like us if the message wasn't entitled "warning" but "notification" or something similar!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Over zealous usage 'warning'!

Hi there,
That sounds sensible.
I'll go and have a word with our content team.
James
Grafter

Hi again,
I've now raised this as problem 52223.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Whether such a warning is regarded as over zealous or not depends on whether reaching the trigger level is a surprise, or not.
For example if reaching this usage level was unexpected, receiving the warning email enables the usage breakdown to be checked before the information for the current month disappears on bandwidth reset. It was such an instance that prompted raising PUGIT 296 requesting such warnings be emailed. However changing the wording from "warning" to "notification" seems a sensible compromise suitable for both the "surprise" and "expected" situations.
This item was included in the March PUGIT Top 5 for action. The July list is available for user vote here.
David
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks James. I couldn't reply earlier as I've been out most of the day.
I don't recall ever having such a notice when we've been that far away from reaching the paid-for amount (in fact, it had taken us a while to go over the 3GB mark and I wondered at one point if we would even start the 4th GB this month!), but I suppose with the increased usage most people have these days, us included, the level reached before warning has been changed. And, I also suppose, it takes no account of how many days are left before the end of the billing period.
'Sprayxt', yes it was really the wording I was commenting on as sounding over zealous, rather than being informed of how much bandwidth we had used.
Not applicable

Would it be possible to opt out of usage warnings? I have chosen to add another GB if I go over my limit and regularly check the usage anyway, so there is no need for this service. Having said this, I have never received one anyway, despite being much closer to the limit than the original poster.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We've just approved the change in wording for this to make it sound less 'over zealous', I'll try to convince someone to pop a copy of the improved text in here tomorrow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Ha! Have just read the message of 10th June re these 'warnings' being sent out at 80% usage, http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65628.msg526491/topicseen.html (found the link to it in the Usergroup discussion), which is spot on with the bandwidth we had reached when it arrived.
Thanks all for making the messages less alarming in the future!