cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over-usage warning not received

Bookman
Grafter

Over-usage warning not received

Out of curiosity, I have just looked at "closed" questions on my account over the last month. I knew from past experience that many of these would be internal PN issues and not actual questions opened by me. But I found this one from 21st November claiming that I was warned that my web space was over the allowed usage:
Question Topic: Your question | ID: 23432573  Closed
Your comment 4:10am, Wednesday 21st November 2007
Customer was warned (their webspace is currently 18071KB over the allowed usage).
Now this puzzles me for two reasons. First, I never received a warning in any form. Second, my web site is only about 10MB in size so cannot be "over the allowed usage".
An explanation would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Over-usage warning not received

Hi there,
I've just had a look into this for you with the help of one of the networks guys. It looks like your site size is around 11MB but it's the amount of traffic hitting it causing the problem.
You are allowed 250MB of space with 250MB of data transfer per day.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Well someone needs to give urgent attention to the wording of that email because it's [censored]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bookman
Grafter

But Chris, besides the fact that I was not warned (though the "Question" claims I was), I still don't understand.
You say I am allowed "250MB of data transfer per day" - so do you mean the data transfer was 268.071MB on one day - or on average over a month - or every day - or what?
Does PN "warn" customers every time the traffic goes above 250MB - or only when it has remained above 250MB for some time?
My web site is primarily for our customers to buy books which are then posted to them around the world. But we have three PDF books which they can download for free - the sizes are about 0.5, 2 and 5 MB. Now I guess the peak in November was when we told them we had added the 5MB book to the web site. We send out batches of emails to customers rather than all at once, so the impact is spread over weeks (for our sake as much as anything else!). But it means that traffic might occasionally spike and go above the "allowed usage" briefly.
But I won't know to do anything about it if I don't receive the warning from PN!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You're very, very lucky!
That check is for one day only - not a daily average over a period. If it had been a bit more over the limit it you wouldn't have been warned, your website would have been archived and taken off-line. They then require you to take steps to ensure that the problem won't happen again before it is put back on-line. As I said you've been lucky.
You may need to look at upgrading to a Business (as opposed to Small Business account which I'm guessing you are on) which gives you a 500MB allowance.
Bookman
Grafter

Thanks for the comments jelv. Ironically, I have just shifted the opposite way from Teleworker to BBYW on PN's advice because I could not get Home Phone on a TW account.
I expect that for about 360 days in the year my web traffic will be very light and nowhere near 250MB. The spikes come from the mailings to customers which are only about three a year. So I guess I need to spread these more widely and thinly to prevent any spikes above 250MB.
But surely PN should have a system that can cope with their customers having a few "spikes" in the year without it precipitating nuclear attack?
After all, I have been let down several times by PN since joining them in March this year but I haven't nuked the Sheffield office - in fact I haven't even cancelled my account!  Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi again,
We know the current system for warning and archiving isn't the most graceful, there has been numerous discussions internally on this. We are going to continue to try to find the best method of doing this, however I wouldn't expect this to happen in the short term due to dev resource but it's definitely on the radar.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm surprised that someone using their account commercially was advised to switch to a residential package just to get home phone. Shouldn't someone have looked at getting Home Phone available on Teleworker (or is that in hand)?