cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2003 send/receive

jjlothin
Grafter

Outlook 2003 send/receive

I used to be able to connect to the server from Outlook by pressing Send/Receive - now this no longer works and I get the following error message (or variations on it: there've been 2 or 3 variations on the error number):
Task 'mail.plus.net - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
I can, however, still connect to the internet and then go into Outlook and Send/Receive.
I've investigated so far as I can changing settings, looking up the error number(s), considering anti-virus (AVG Free) or firewall (ZoneAlarm) clashes but have so far drawn a blank.
If anyone has any suggestions about something I might be missing, I'd be most grateful. It's a niggle, but an annoying one!
8 REPLIES 8
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Outlook 2003 send/receive

I know this sounds daft..
Have you tried using pop3.plus.net and relay.plus.net as your pop3 and SMTP addresses?
I've always used those and never had a problem with outlook 2003
Only other thing I can think of is that in outlook, you click on Help and then Detect and repair, which will refresh your program files.
Give me a shout if you need anything else.
Roger
paulby
Grafter

I can, however, still connect to the internet and then go into Outlook and Send/Receive.

What do you mean by this line?
You need to be connected to the internet to collect your mail!  Do you mean once you've opened Internet Explorer you can collect mail?
Are you using a router or a USB modem to connect?
Have you tried temporarily disabling Zone Alarm (and also making sure that you're only running one firewall on your PC - if ZA is on then the Windows Firewall should be off)?

jjlothin
Grafter

Quote from: rogerloxton
I know this sounds daft..
Have you tried using pop3.plus.net and relay.plus.net as your pop3 and SMTP addresses?
I've always used those and never had a problem with outlook 2003
Only other thing I can think of is that in outlook, you click on Help and then Detect and repair, which will refresh your program files.
Give me a shout if you need anything else.
Roger

Thanks for speedy reply, Roger. I CAN get my email if I connect before I go into Outlook so I don't think changing the settings will help. I'll try the Detect & Repair option, though.
jjlothin
Grafter

Quote from: Paul03

What do you mean by this line?
You need to be connected to the internet to collect your mail!  Do you mean once you've opened Internet Explorer you can collect mail?
Are you using a router or a USB modem to connect?

Sorry: that is confusing. What I meant was that I can get my modem to make the connection and THEN go into Outlook and send and receive as normal. That's why it's only a foolish niggle, really!
paulby
Grafter

Try this.
Go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options and go to the Connections Tab.  Make sure that "Always Dial My Default Connection" has a dot against it.
As you're using a USB modem it behaves like a dial-up connection - that *should* make it connect whenever you try to access the internet!
jjlothin
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it doesn't work!
jjlothin
Grafter

Got there - and so simple! All that reinstalling, checking anti-virus settings, looking up error numbers, etc etc for nothing - connection setting needs to be 'Connect using my phone line'!  Smiley
paulby
Grafter

Gald you got it sorted! (Just remember to change it back if you ever buy a router and connect via ethernet!)