cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook 2002 send error 0x800CC0F - with a twist!!!

CaptainCorcoran
Hooked

Outlook 2002 send error 0x800CC0F - with a twist!!!

Hi - this is my very first post here and I'm looking for some serious help & advice...
I'm running on Win XP Sp2 with Office XP(2002) - all mandatory MS updates applied - with Eset Smart Security 3.0 (AV+Firewall) using a Belkin Router and my (extremely weird) problem is as follows....
When start Outlook for the first time I send/receive OK, but once Outlook is running, whenever I create any new emails and click on Send, I get the 0x800CCC0F (Send/SMTP error) "The connection was interrupted..."  and the emails sit in the Outbox - 'un-sent'
POP3/receive always works fine - no errors.
All my send/receive setting are as required by Plusnet
I've changed my A-V software to not scan outgoing email - no effect
I've restarted my router several times and even reset it to factory defaults - no effect
I've turned off my A-V and firewall - no effect
I've followed all the usual Microsoft advice:
    Create a new profile - no effect
    Start Outlook in Safe mode and create new profile - no effect
    yada-yada - no effect
I've scanned everything (A-V, Spybot S&D, AdAware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, CCleaner) - no errors/issues found
I've checked with Plusnet support via a question and they say everything is OK on the mail server end...
The really wierd part about all of this is that the only way I can get to send emails after starting up Outlook is to shutdown/reboot my PC!  (Not my preferred course of action...)  Everything then gets sent when I restart Oulook, but  the next time I write an email I get the 0x800CCC0F error again!!
Having spent nearly two weeks looking at this I'm reaching the end of my tether and I'd rather not spend my time re-installing and re-patching everything...  or even uninstalling/re-installing Outlook (my next option?)
Am I a victim of some freaky Malware or something else?  Is there a registry error somewhere?
For anyone out there can "read" them,  I've attached a HijackThis log... if that helps...
H-e-l -p...?
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Outlook 2002 send error 0x800CC0F - with a twist!!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi CaptainCorcoran,
well you've certainly gone about trying to resolve this in the right way. This sounds as though it might be a registry error or an error in one of Outlooks account files, but what's caused it is the leading question? It might be worth thinking back to when it started, what had happened /what had you done immediately prior to the problem arising, ie since it last worked OK.
One thing which doesn't seem to be in your list above, is the delete and re-create the actual Mail Account in Outlook. This can cure a number of ills that appear randomly now and then in Outlook  & Outlook Express!
Another thing perhaps worth a quick look is your hosts file to make sure there aren't any ridiculous entries (& don't ask me why it might work a first time but not subsequently, it may not even be related - in my view anything is worth a look in this situation).
As for the program pierre has suggested, I downloaded that a couple of weeks ago to help me look for a problem I was having on another machine (not helped yet!) BUT I'm always sceptical  of such programs unless they've been personally recommended by someone who KNOWS what they are about., so I've not registered mine (limits functionality). It, like some others, lists a whole load of stuff that 1) does no harm & 2) will only get re-created next time you use a particular program or whatever (probably because of the generic way in which it searches). I'm not knowledgeable enough in all these areas to allow it to delete some of the other stuff, so I just look at the bits of possible interest and act accordingly, but beware, as I'm sure you know playing with the registry can be a bit hairy and foul things up irrepairably.
Edit: I assume all the 'program' entries in the hijack this log mean something to you, ie should be there - you've installed/allowed them. I didn't spot anything that made me think WTF is that. When you turned off A-V, Firewall etc, I assume that included Teatimer.
Lurker
Grafter

CCleaner is at least a tried and tested registry cleaner.
I'd be tempted to download that, clean your registry (having opted to take a backup of it before fixing the problems) and then check Outlook
At this stage, if Outlook still isn't functioning properly, I'd attempt a repair of Outlook.
CaptainCorcoran
Hooked

Things have got just a little weirder(!) in that the problem has now 'gone away' and sending mail works fine  Huh (Looks around for large lump of wood to touch, can't find one, shrugs, carries on typing...)
Until everything goes belly-up again (five minutes / hours/ days/ weeks...) I'll leave things well alone. If it ain't broke...
Greatful thanks for everyone for their advice... I'll put all the options on my list-of-things-to-try-before-begging-for-help-on-the-forum.
CaptainCorcoran
Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly  Grin