cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operating accounts from abroad

ralmoon

Operating accounts from abroad

I operate and pay for Plusnet accounts for 2 daughters in the UK but I live in Australia.  On trying to access these accounts recently I find I cannot log on and so cannot access the member centre and its services.  The message tells me:
   'access to our customer member centre from your location is currently restricted'.
I telephoned to complain but was told that this is a security measure and cannot be changed.
However they had accepted my original registrations from Australia and my initial and ongoing payments for my daughters using a card with an Australian account address!  There was never a mention that my 'location' was unacceptable for account handling.
This may seem an unusual situation but it strikes me that it will also deny account access to any normal UK-resident member when travelling abroad.
Has anyone else experienced this peculiar rule?  Can anyone from Plusnet explain it or - better - tell me how to get around it?
Ralph Cooper
3 REPLIES 3
Mand
Grafter

Re: Operating accounts from abroad

Hi there,
It's a temporary security measure for the time being, whilst we implement more security when accessing the portal from non-UK IP addresses.
We expect this to be removed fully within the next few weeks, and something more user-friendly in it's place.
The only way around it at the moment is to perform any account related changes over the phone, or feel free to drop me or another member of the Comms Team a PM and we'll take a look for you.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Hi Ralph
I too have just fallen foul of that rule, for daring to connect to the Portal from the US.
After the issue with the webmail platform being compromised, then I can understand why this has been put into place, but PlusNet do need to ensure that it is removed in a timely manner.
Time to put some pressure on them.
Chilly (Currently exiled from the PlusNet forums.)
jnelson
Grafter

Hi guys, not sure if your already aware but the restritions were lifted at the start of the week so you should be able to access the portals again from any foreign IPs.
Thanks for your patience.