Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openreach to trial Fibre to the Premise in Brownfield sites

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Openreach to trial Fibre to the Premise in Brownfield sites

Just seen this on Openreach's website and thought it might be of interest to some of you.
[quote author="Openreach"]Openreach will pilot Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) technology in “brownfield” sites for the first time from January 2010.
Openreach is pleased to announce that two locations have been selected for a first Fibre to the Premises pilot on brownfield sites. The two areas are Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes and Highams Park in London. The pilot will see speeds of up to 100Mbit/s delivered to up to 20,000 homes and businesses in each of these areas by March 2010.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

25 REPLIES 25
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Openreach to trial Fibre to the Premise in Brownfield sites

Lucky sods!! Angry
Up here in scotland in the city of aberdeen they have been trialing fibre through the SEWERS!!for a while now,God knows how its going though
http://ezinearticles.com/?Broadband-Going-Underground,-Broadband-Through-Sewers&id=987718
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
mal0z
Grafter

Not before time. One wonders why Ofcomm didn't outlaw copper wire to new premises some time ago.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: steve74

Up here in scotland in the city of aberdeen they have been trialing fibre through the SEWERS!!for a while now,........

Do you realise that FibreOptic (cables) are tubular strands of glass or plastic run in bundles inside an armoured sheath. I have recurring problems with the sheath on my copper cable strung between trees getting abraded by the trees and then wicking rainwater up into the junction boxes.
Perhaps you don't really want FTTP  Grin
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

"Upto 100MBit" .... like ADSL is "upto 8MBit" I guess.
So what happens when all these 20,000 homes try to use their 100Mbit connections - that's 2000000Mbits (250,000MBytes) per second?
I assume the local exchange melts...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mega contention Roll_eyes
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Wheel_nut

Do you realise that FibreOptic (cables) are tubular strands of glass or plastic run in bundles inside an armoured sheath. I have recurring problems with the sheath on my copper cable strung between trees getting abraded by the trees and then wicking rainwater up into the junction boxes.

I remember in my last job when someone doing some digging went right through the fibre run to the office... we called BT and they had to replace 2 1.5Km runs of cables, and the people doing the digging didn't have insurance.
I hope that they really protect the runs from the cabinet to the houses.
peter66

Here in Bournemouth we are having FTTP installed by Fibrecity as a town-wide "first for England" experiment using the sewer system. So far we have been told by both Sky & Virgin that our road is connected - even though I am well aware that it is not, and that we only have a limited time to sign up to their deals!
When will PlusNet &/or BT advertise conectability?
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,
Bournemouth isn't currently one of OpenReach's trial sites.
I believe it's an unrelated pilot scheme, but not sure who you would need to sign up with.
michaelmann

This isnt so much a reply as a question.  I have seen BTs press release that they are going to run a trial of FTTP-not FTTC- in Milton Keynes where I live.  As we get such lousy speeds because the original BT cabling follows the grid system and we have aluminium cables, this seems my only chance to get a reasonable speed.  BT says that the tests will start in "December/January", but I cannot get any information from anybody, Plus Net included about progress or how to become a test site.  Anyone got any news?
jackoab
Grafter

@peter66
To register with Fibrecity go to the library in The Triangle and they have a desk there. Mind you frequently there's no-one there!!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@michaelmann, AFAIK we've no plans at present to take part in the FTTP trials.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

In that case I'd suggest he goes to the desk and finds out who is participating!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
michaelmann

Who or what is Fibrecity?  Where is the Triangle?  Are they in Milton Keynes?
Quote from: jelv

Quote from: jelv
In that case I'd suggest he goes to the desk and finds out who is participating!
Quote from: jac2285
@peter66
To register with Fibrecity go to the library in The Triangle and they have a desk there. Mind you frequently there's no-one there!!
cjecharman