Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenDNS problem

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: OpenDNS problem

This fix seems to work perfect npr, Many Thanks again.
VickyA1975

Thank you for all your replies. To be honest, I don't really understand much of what has been written, however, I have applied what npr suggested, so fingers crossed it works. Thanks again!
30FTTC06
Pro

@VickyA1975
You may also find the following useful (http://npr.me.uk/webfilter.html,  "6) Create a firewall rule to block access to all other DNS resolvers") This will block access to port 53 which is the port DNS uses. But kids will find a way around this option pretty quickly as well more than likely
VickyA1975

Thanks 11110_110.
Do you know if you are supposed to keep the pc on at all times which has the OpenDNS updater installed on it? I always turn the computer off, so wonder if that could be causing a problem too?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'VickyA1975' - if you are on "Unlimited" broadband (or some older types of accounts), you could upgrade to having a static IP address for a one off cost of £5 - and then you wouldn't need to have the OpenDNS updater running because your IP address would always be the same.  Having a static IP address is also useful for other things - such as the ThinkBroadband quality monitor, so you can see how your connection is performing.
30FTTC06
Pro

I don't use the same method as you for updating the filter, I use the free family safe option using 208.67.222.123 208.67.220.123 then we block access to port 53 via the router locking the dns path to the ip's that have the pre-configured filters, it works well enough for us. I think a one off fee of £5 will buy you a static ip-address from plusnet which i guess would solve that problem for you, otherwise you may need to use dynamic-dns or something similar to keep your ip address in sync with your filter settings, I'm assuming this is what the dns-updater thingy-bob is attempting to do for you.
What purleigh said  Grin
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: VickyA1975
are supposed to keep the pc on at all times which has the OpenDNS updater installed on it?

No, provided the updater is correctly installed it should send a fresh update each time the PC is booted.
As others have said, for a one off £5 a plusnet static IP will remove the need to run a updater.
Alternatively you can let the Technicolor router do dynamic dns updating for opendns.
Details here:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#updateddns
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi. I followed nprs excellent advice on his site, and used method 2, as this in effect turns off the routers internal dns resolver and forces the router to dish out your preferred dns resolvers to each pc much like setting them manually on each pc or device.  This also survives a ppp drop and a full router reboot.